HP Media Server RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just got an HP Media Server and have few questions that searching has not produced answers.

1 - When the media server starts a volume backup does it establish a different network connection?  Reason I ask is today my entire home network went down (while at work) and my gaming computer showed two network connections.  One was a local connection and the other was public.  The public showed 300 gigs worth of "sent" which would match close to my C: drive.  I hope this wasn't an intruder...

2 - Is there any easy way to push files to the Webshare?  I can't find a folder on the media server that holds the files published on the web and would like a simple way to publish a large amount of photos and or files.

Thanks

Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:12 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server doesn't establish an additional connection for backups, it uses your existing connection. However, if your motherboard has two onboard NICs, you'll see two connections. YOu'll also see additional connections for VPNs, maybe bluetooth, maybe some other devices that you might connect.

The "public" connection is how Vista sets up a network when it's first connected; if you never changed it then it will still be "public".

The only way to upload files to the HP WebShare application is through that application. There are files stored in the file system, but there's also a database that contains metadata about those files.
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:02 PM