none
Installer needs IE6 RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to get Money working on my new Window 10 laptop.  Tried original disc requires IE6 which will not install in 64bit.  Sunset eventually unpacked but then just went away.  Now trying Money2005UK from your site and this goes back to the IE6 problem.  Any suggestions

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:14 PM

All replies

• Install the version of Money according to the country of the original Money file. Get the file via the link in what is currently the second (sticky) post in this forum.

If that is what you already did, try uninstalling any Money version that is already installed, before installing the appropriate version.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I am pretty sure that there are no versions of Money on this machine as I have never successfully installed. it.  However, I checked the program files and there is nothing obvious.

I now have four versions of the program.  The original disc (2004 I believe), a disk created from my previous (broken) laptop which had the program on it before I upgraded to Window 10.  This is the one I would prefer because it has been updated for some changes since 2004.  I also have two downloaded files; Sunset and Money2005UK.  All versions start up and go through the install routine (the two downloads unpack first) and all come back with the "IE6 is required" error message inviting me to install IE6 which of course will not work on my 64bit machine.  I do have IE11 loaded.

Money does work on my desktop (also Windows 10) but it was there before I upgraded to Windows 10.  I bought my new laptop with Windows 10 from new and it is this I would like to install with Money.  I have performed various registry changes as suggested elsewhere including the change of name to the IE entry. I have also tried to install in various compatibility modes.

I'm really stuck now.  Grateful for advice.

Regards

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:01 PM
  • I presume your Money is from the UK. I suspect your Microsoft Money disk does not say Money 2004 or Money 2005, but just says Microsoft Money. It would, however, say copyright 2004. That is Microsoft Money 2005 UK.  You can discard that disk or use it for any non-computer use, such as memorabilia. It has no use for installs.

So this brings up the question about why you get the "IE6 is required" error message. I cannot help with that. I guess I would try right-clicking the install file and choose RunAsAdminstrator, to see if that helps. Probably not, but I think it is worth a try.

Fortunately there are users running Windows 10 64-bit who have installed Microsoft Money UK. Let's hope somebody has a good answer for you. It can sometimes take a while.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:12 PM
  • Thanks for your help.  Yes I did try the run as admin and it makes no difference.

Hopefully there is someone else who had and solved this problem.

Thanks again

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:03 PM
  • The "IE6 required" message suggests you have the launch version - 1507 - of Windows 10. The registry change was only needed with that until the first cumulative update for Windows 10 in August 2015 and should be reversed.

Make sure your new laptop is fully updated:

• to the latest version of Windows 10 - 1703 today.
    • with its manufacturer's latest BIOS and drivers

Consider tidying up the installs with e.g. IObit Uninstaller 7 Free

Ideally, clean install the latest version of Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool or force an update to 1703 on that page, but check that a clean install will not lose any applications that the laptop manufacturer installed unless you are happy you will not need them. If you opt for a clean install, make sure you have any necessary drivers from the laptop manufacturer.

If you are in the UK, install Money 2005 QFE2. If elsewhere, install the latest relevant regional version of Money. The data files will not be interchangeable with your desktop if the Money versions are not both identical and for the same region.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:09 PM
  • My version of Windows 10 is the 1703 version.  The Money 2005 QFE2 is one of the many versions that come back with the IE6 error message.  Tried everything I can find on the internet but to no avail.  As Money works on my desktop with the same Windows 10 version I can't see that it is an OS problem.  The issue seems to be the install routine which is set to install IE6 (even though IE 11 is already there) and obviously  can't as it doesn't work in 64 bit.  I can't be the only person who has bought a new windows 10 64 bit and wants to re-install money ... can I?
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:16 PM
  • The "IE6 required" message was tripped only if Money - any version requiring IE - was installed on Windows 10 1507 before the first Cumulative Update in August 2015. The registry change worked round the bug in Money and is not needed. Later versions of Windows 10 do not trip the bug.

I think your laptop came with 1507 and you installed Money before updating it. From your posts, it seems that you have installed various versions of Money on top of each other without uninstalling and have residual components which are tripping the bug in Money.

Factory reset your laptop, to avoid voiding its warranty, update to the latest version of Windows 10 at Media Creation Tool, run Windows Update and only then install Money and any other programs you want.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:43 PM
  • Early there was a bug. https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/windows-10-compatibility-with-microsoft-money/ discussed the problem and the work-around. Later Windows 10 updates changed the key to make that not a problem. Perhaps that could help you, and perhaps it will not help.
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:45 PM
  • I actually didn't start trying to load Money until a few days ago and while the installer seems to go away and do something there is not trace of Money on any of my Program File directories.  I would love to be in the position to uninstall but I've never really got that far unless there are bits in places I can't see.
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:37 PM
  • Yes.  I got to that discussion and tried the things it recommended.  Then found they were superseded anyway. Ho hum.
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Programs often install components and create registry entries which are not removed when they uninstall.

You could try tidying up the installs with e.g. IObit Uninstaller 7 Free and see Completely Removing Microsoft Money from your system

If that does not work the only way to recover is to clean install Windows, since no-one knows what is causing the problem.. 

Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Thanks.  I've really checked everything and there is no trace of Money in any of the places you would expect to find it.  Just ran IOBIT and it did not list Money.  Also ran CCleaner just in case there's anything in Temp files.

Got the same IE6 error.  I'll think about a clean install but I'm a bit nervous.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Yes.  I got to that discussion and tried the things it recommended.  Then found they were superseded anyway. Ho hum.

What Version do you show for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

?

Thursday, October 5, 2017 8:35 PM
  • This was one of the changes I made following my search of the internet.  It is now

Friday, October 6, 2017 12:47 PM
  • In 1703 on my system it is 9.11.15063.0. 1703 is build 15063: build 10240 was 1507.

I have clean installed Money 2005 UK QFE2 at least twice on 1703 without problems.

Friday, October 6, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Just changed registry back to 15603 which is what it was when I started.  The Money 2005 UK download seemed to unpack the money program OK (as it usually does) but then went to install IE6 and of course it bombed.  It certainly looks as though the install does not recognise my installed version of IE and therefore does not complete when it tries to install IE6.  Which version of IE did you have when the install worked?
    Friday, October 6, 2017 4:27 PM
  • There is only one version of IE which works with Windows 10.

You are the only one who is having this problem, so accept that your system is damaged somehow and do a clean install with the Media Creation Tool .

Friday, October 6, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Mein Money 99 startet nicht mit neuem Windows 10 Build-1709-Update

IE wird geändert9.11.10240.0

Was kann ich tun?

• Edited by stoeggich Friday, October 20, 2017 9:22 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Welche Fehlermeldung erscheint, wenn Moeny nicht startet?
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:11 PM
  • Eine Fehlermeldung ohne Test also nur ein rotes X und das wars.

Vor dem neusten Windows Update lief alles unter Windows 10

Friday, October 20, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Well I didn't want to do that just for the Money program but as it happened I have just suffered a complete jam and have had to reinstall Window 10 to get going again.  Of course I had to install all my programs/apps as well.  On a whim I tried Money install and it worked.  Don't know how.  The only problem is that I get a "don't have permission" error message if I use any of my personal folders to store the .mny files but I discovered a work around by storing them on the root directory of my user.

The marvels of computers!

Thanks for all the help.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Your .mny files belong in the My Documents folder (or in a subfolder under My Documents.
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:33 AM