Username and passwords RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network with a whs server. Each client computer have multiple user accounts. Common for them all is a administrator account with a strong password. This password is also used as Administrator password at the whs server.

Working as a ordinary user (not administrator) I gets messages from whs that the password are not matching.....

How do I solve this..? (avoid the annoying messages) (this was not a problem before I upgraded to Windows 7)

//lasse

Lasse
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi
    Do this mean that I for each user on the clients computers must create a user on the WHS? ( or is the some other way to store user passwords?)

//lasse

Lasse
    That is the easiest way to handle it.  Otherwise, you could try storing your credentials in the Credential Manager (I've never tried that on 7, but it should work).  Or you could enable the Guest account on the server, but that would grant everyone access.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:30 AM

All replies

• I have a small network with a whs server. Each client computer have multiple user accounts. Common for them all is a administrator account with a strong password. This password is also used as Administrator password at the whs server.

Working as a ordinary user (not administrator) I gets messages from whs that the password are not matching.....

How do I solve this..? (avoid the annoying messages) (this was not a problem before I upgraded to Windows 7)

//lasse

Lasse
    You need to make sure that the password for the user account used to logon to the client matches the password stored for that identical user name on the server.  If nothing else, when they don't match, you should get the option of forcing one password to be the correct one for both computers, which would then automatically update the password on the other computer.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:50 PM

//lasse

Lasse
    You need to make sure that the password for the user account used to logon to the client matches the password stored for that identical user name on the server.  If nothing else, when they don't match, you should get the option of forcing one password to be the correct one for both computers, which would then automatically update the password on the other computer.

Hi
    Do this mean that I for each user on the clients computers must create a user on the WHS? ( or is the some other way to store user passwords?)

//lasse

Lasse
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Id say "yes" as I'm assuming that the connector software on the client computers attempts to parse credentials on the home server to allow access to the shared folders.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Hi

//lasse

Lasse
    That is the easiest way to handle it.  Otherwise, you could try storing your credentials in the Credential Manager (I've never tried that on 7, but it should work).  Or you could enable the Guest account on the server, but that would grant everyone access.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Ok,,, now it seems to work. Had some problems before I understod that one user had different passwords on different client computers. Once this was solved,, it seems to work seamless.... :)

Thanks all.
    //Lasse
    Lasse
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:46 PM
  • I'll note that Windows Home Server will help you with this. Once you've got the connector installed and passwords synchronized between your server and your client computers, when a user changes a password locally the connector will alert them that the passwords no longer match, and will offer the option of synchronizing the passwords (in either direction, server-to-client or client-to-server). So as that user goes from computer to computer, they can get the password from the server synchronized with all the computers for their ID.

Using Windows Home Server in this fashion is significantly easier than trying to use the credentials manager to keep a particular user/password for access to the server, even though the local user/password may not match. First, not all versions of Windows support credentials management. And second, I can guarantee that you will eventually forget that you've used the credentials manager, and wonder why things stop working...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:43 PM