Client backup out of space RRS feed

• Question

• My drive with client backups managed to get down to a few megabytes. I tried deleting a older computer and reducing the number of backups but it did not help. I expect that it can't run because of the lack of space.

So in an attempt to fix it I shrink another drive which gave me 14GB of space and extended the client backup drive.

After that I ran the clean up task from the task scheduler.

I have also run the backup repair tool which reports it was successful.

I would think after all that I would have more free space on the drive.  I am concerned at this point when the next backup runs the drive will again be out of space.  Any suggests on how to resolve this or verify it is resolved?

Thanks

John J. Hughes II

Friday, October 30, 2015 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hello Eve,

As I mentioned I did all those things.  The only error I can find is out of disk space.

I have given up and wiped the backup drive and will restart.

John J. Hughes II

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:25 PM

All replies

• I suggest you leave it to WHS to sort out. It will delete old data in order to create new space in accordance with the backup policy you have set.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, October 31, 2015 12:42 AM
  • well at this point the backups are failing and its not sorting it out :(

John J. Hughes II

Saturday, October 31, 2015 12:43 AM
  • OK misread your question - thought you were talking about Server backups! Are your backups on a drive of their own? I use a separate 2TB drive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, October 31, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that client computer backup has almost full the store space, and client backup failed to run due to lack of space.

Try to edit the computer backup retention policy and shorten the retention period. Then, re-run the backup Cleanup task to clean old backups, confirm the result. Check below link for detail steps about running the client backup database cleanup task:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/backup-cleanup-2.aspx

If the client backup failed again, please provide the detail error message. And, bringing up the properties of the computer and then seeing why the failure happened may or may not provide useful diagnostic information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:58 AM
  • Hello Eve,

As I mentioned I did all those things.  The only error I can find is out of disk space.

I have given up and wiped the backup drive and will restart.

John J. Hughes II

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry that I do not provide a helpful suggestion for you.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:27 AM
  • No problem Eve, thanks for trying...

John J. Hughes II

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 12:58 PM