Additional Disc Space Not Showing Up In Explorer But Displayed In Server Storage RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Just added another 500GB "green" SATA drive to my Tranquill Server.

The new drive was displayed okay in Server Storaage so I added it using the default options.

The server storage pie charts and figures reflect the new values total 931Gb free 536Gb

However from "My Computer" (via remote desktop) and a drive mapped to the server from a Vista laptop still only report the old values of total space 446Gb and 70Gb free.

What have I done wrong?

I have the latest non beta power pack installed.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:28 PM

Answers

• There is nothing wrong with your server.

From the shares (or from RDP on drive DSmile you only see the space available on the first/system disk. For the actual storage WHS will use all drives in the storage pool as reported from the console.

Theo.

PS - For more technical information on this you micht have a look at the documentation on "Drive Extender"

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:57 PM

All replies

• There is nothing wrong with your server.

From the shares (or from RDP on drive DSmile you only see the space available on the first/system disk. For the actual storage WHS will use all drives in the storage pool as reported from the console.

Theo.

PS - For more technical information on this you micht have a look at the documentation on "Drive Extender"

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Many thanks for the reply.

So much as a bodged on third party product it does not report to Microsoft windows family products the increase in free disc space.

I can see the idea of tombstone markers on the first disc and the files may actually be stored on another drive but not that Windows cannot report your correct free space.

What would you think of your online banking if it could not give you your balance unless you went to another location and checked the figures there as well.

So when you copy files from a client pc to your WHS you really have know idea if they will fit.

I have been used to maintianing real, not bodged version of MS Windows Server and this is probarbly worse than when you have compression enabled leading to calculating backup media requirement issues.

Also last night I left my Vista laptop moving large 1920x1080 video files to the server, about 30Gb worth.

Last night the PC had 20Gb free, this morning it reports 2Gb and a red warning!

Just checked again and this has gone up to 6.22Gb free and I have done nothing....

I shall reconfigure my drive and use it as an addiional drive letter and manage my files in a logical manner.

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Well I recovered the free space on my Vista laptop....

53% of disc was being used by "System Volume Information"

Ran the cleanup option and I now have over 50Gb of free space again...

I tried using my other WHS disc in backup mode only but that also is useless as you cannot use any of it for live data / new shares Sad

I still think it is very poor that when a drive is mapped to a whs server share from a client pc that it cannot report back to the user the actual size and free space.

Very poor show, no information is better than the wrong information....

Friday, August 8, 2008 9:55 AM
  •  IM35461 wrote:

I still think it is very poor that when a drive is mapped to a whs server share from a client pc that it cannot report back to the user the actual size and free space.

Actually, for a Windows Server environment it is not uncommon to report only the amount of storage available to a particular user. This amount does not necessairely reflect to total amount of space available to the server itself.

BTW: The space WHS reports on the share gives you the amount of space it can handle at that particular moment. If you fill up this space, WHS will try to reallocate new storage to the share (by moving your files elsewere in the storage pool)

Theo.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

It might be helpful to have a read through the available documentation, which explains the differing methods that WHS uses to store/move data.

For 'normal' users, the only method of communicating with the server, is via the Console, which reports the free space etc correctly. However, there is also an Add-In, which is a Disk Management addition, which will show more detail, if your are concerned. Quite a few people use it because of it's extras.

Colin

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Hello IM35461,

From reading the thread you started on the Suggestions forum (Fix So WHS And WHS Clients Report Correct Free Disc Space) I think you are experiencing a known problem for PP1 where under certain circumstances the amount of free space left on the system disk can limit functionality when copying data from a Vista client to WHS.

Please read this thread. It presents a tool (LZreallocator) that can be used as a work arround to solve the problem you are experiencing when copying data.

Theo.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Thankyou for all your replies...

So I am a victim of installing the Power Pack before I fitted my new drive and the fact my clients are all Vista Smile

The LZreallocator seems of interest and from what I see it creates files on the 1st hard drive till physical free space is below 10Gb at which time WHS will re-locate data on to the new drive.

I still just think it would be easier if the WHS reported back to the operating system the total free space rather than that which remains physically on the landing zone.

Thus my post under suggestions as with this fix it would avoid user confusion and also work propelry with Vista.

IM35461.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:26 AM
  • No, you're not a victim of anything.  What WHS is doing (reporting the free space in the landing zone, which is where the data will be going, rather than the free space in the shares, where the data isn't (directly) going), while it might not seem like it, really is the right thing.
    If you only have, say, 40GB available in the LZ, but want to copy 50GB of data to the server, where's is going to go?

Put another way:
    You have a pot of chili (the data that you want to move to the server.)  There's 6 quarts in it.  Your stomach (the share) can take all of that chili.
    Your bowl (the landing zone,) however, is only one quart.
    You are not allowed to move the chili directly from pot to stomach - you must use the bowl.
    Therefore, you can get the chili from pot to stomach; you just need to take it in smaller portions. 
    DEMigrator is your spoon.

HTH, 

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:44 PM