Backed up files under XP. Now have a new Vista PC. How do I restore files from old PC RRS feed

• Question

• I backed up my old XP computer using Windows Live One Care. Now I have a new VISTA PC. Now I want to restore my files using backup and restore. My problem, the restore option on the new computer does not show the backup I did under the old PC. The backup is stored on a network. I know the XP backup is there but the restore option on the new computer does not show it. How can I retore my old XP files to my new computer? Thanks for your help
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:21 AM

Answers

• Perform a backup from the new PC to the network location used by the old PC. Then do a custom restore and select "Files from another computer". Select the files from the XP computer.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:09 AM

All replies

• Perform a backup from the new PC to the network location used by the old PC. Then do a custom restore and select "Files from another computer". Select the files from the XP computer.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:09 AM
  • If that does not resolve it, please contact support. Note that if you used Centralized Backup and the old PC was designated as the Hub, you'll probably need to designate the new PC as a Hub and use Centralized backup per Jim's instruction above to do a backup from the new PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:17 AM