none
Wanting to get back into IT, start at 70-680? RRS feed

• Question

• Was looking over all the exams and things, I know I have to do quite a bit.  Was A+/Inet and so on certified when I last worked in the field.  Doing security now for the us military over seas.  Will there be a way to do testing online?  Maybe one of the college/classrooms here on base could render the exam.  My main question is though what sort of books/material should I get?  I saw the Microsoft material on Amazon.com and noticed that several reviews said it did not prepare them fully for the test.  Can someon give me a starting point, a place I can go to meet IT people who can give me advice?  This will be all self study as I have no access to leave the base for classroom instruction.  I have a desktop computer and a laptop, both with windows 7, and am eager to learn.  Thanks for any help.

M. Montgomery

Wolf9292@yahoo.com

Friday, September 3, 2010 10:22 PM

Answers

• The client side exams tend to be easier than the server side.  If you're good and consistant at self-study, then using the MS Press book should work well.  If you were to add in the Trainsignal or CBT Nugget training videos, that would provide some added assistance.

Make sure that you have at least Win7 Pro on your computer (IMHO, Win7 Ultimate would be better, to help understand/use Bitlocker).

Testing isn't available online - but check the Prometric site to see if they have a local facility.

Friday, September 3, 2010 11:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Some additional answers: You can get E-learning material. From Microsoft you can go to https://www.microsoftelearning.com and get some very good material about many subjects on Microsoft Technologies. Microsoft Press and others as well (check Amazon).

About COMPTIA certifications, they are expiring after three years. Please verify your status.

As Charles Putnam pointed out. verify at Prometric site http://www.prometric.com/default.htm for local examination places. It's public info that military forces are certifying personnel to A+/Network+, so some facilities may be available to have exams at many locations. Furthermore, you can ask to travel to the nearest Prometric Location (Prometric is the Testing services company for Microsoft Exams). In a last suggestion, you can ask for a Microsoft trainer to go at your location for a series of training (ask is not to enter).

Alfredo Arizaleta

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 12:51 AM

All replies

• The client side exams tend to be easier than the server side.  If you're good and consistant at self-study, then using the MS Press book should work well.  If you were to add in the Trainsignal or CBT Nugget training videos, that would provide some added assistance.

Make sure that you have at least Win7 Pro on your computer (IMHO, Win7 Ultimate would be better, to help understand/use Bitlocker).

Testing isn't available online - but check the Prometric site to see if they have a local facility.

Friday, September 3, 2010 11:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok so I will order the microsoft books, I have Win7 ultimate on desktop, win 7 home on laptop.  Got a link to share for those videos?  Do I need to purchase them?

Ill have to see about these class rooms on base about the tests, maybe they can do them.

M.Montgomery

Wolf9292@yahoo.com

Friday, September 3, 2010 11:16 PM
  • www.trainsignal.com and www.cbtnuggets.com

IMO, these videos can help enhance and augment the book studying, but not fully replace it.  Either one are well worth the investment.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 1:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Some additional answers: You can get E-learning material. From Microsoft you can go to https://www.microsoftelearning.com and get some very good material about many subjects on Microsoft Technologies. Microsoft Press and others as well (check Amazon).

About COMPTIA certifications, they are expiring after three years. Please verify your status.

As Charles Putnam pointed out. verify at Prometric site http://www.prometric.com/default.htm for local examination places. It's public info that military forces are certifying personnel to A+/Network+, so some facilities may be available to have exams at many locations. Furthermore, you can ask to travel to the nearest Prometric Location (Prometric is the Testing services company for Microsoft Exams). In a last suggestion, you can ask for a Microsoft trainer to go at your location for a series of training (ask is not to enter).

Alfredo Arizaleta

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 12:51 AM
  • So COMPTIA is going completely away?  Or if I go ahead and redo my A+/Inet+ etc here on base Ill be ok for a few years?
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Hi Monty,

I was checking the policy of COMPTIA about past certifications.  You got two versions, the original one and the CE ("Continous Education") version. The original one keeps  the life status. What you can do is to go to COMPTIA site to see your transcript and verify your status (http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx).

The issue with COMPTIA is they have worked with ISO, the International Standards Association that requires that all certifications should be tested every three years. The CE certifications means that the holder will have three years to get the credits to obtain the ISO endorsed certification.

The final answer about COMPTIA is to enroll in the CE program after 1/1/11. Please see the page in COMPTIA about this.

Alfredo Arizaleta

Monday, November 8, 2010 12:55 AM