aMsMpEng.exe- Sevice Exec. Running and Running RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am a novice.....how do I fix this?
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

• Msmpeng is the engine for OneCare's virus and spyware protection (and also the same for Defender and Forefront).

If MSMPENG is using excessive memory or CPU cycles, the most likely cause of this problem is a conflict with other security software on the PC that is active or a program or service that is causing the engine to go into a "lock" condition trying to read a file or memory that is being updated in an unusual way.

Please contact support for help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:53 PM

All replies

• Msmpeng is the engine for OneCare's virus and spyware protection (and also the same for Defender and Forefront).

If MSMPENG is using excessive memory or CPU cycles, the most likely cause of this problem is a conflict with other security software on the PC that is active or a program or service that is causing the engine to go into a "lock" condition trying to read a file or memory that is being updated in an unusual way.

Please contact support for help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:53 PM
  • hey RedlineRay

To know more about why its peggign your CPU n memory I would require detail logs which cna be found at

Vista

1. c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Support\MPLOG*(some file which starts with MPLOG)

XP

2.      c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Support\MPLOG*(some file which starts with MPLOG) (This is if you have win xp)

Note : These are hidden so you have to make sure that you enable show hidden files and folders

Let me know if you face any problem in the above steps

You can email  me the logs at

montyj@microsoft.com

Thanks

Monty Jain[MSFT]

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:38 PM