Mac OS Backup Like HP? RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed that Hewlitt Packard is advertising its HP MediaSmart Servers as being able to backup Mac OS boxes with Time Machine and a piece that they call "Control Center for Mac OS". It looks like this is a Mac OSX "connector". Does anyone know whether MS plans to provide something similar for "the rest of us"?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:50 PM

Answers

• That's an HP specific feature, not from Microsoft. So I don't think you should expect it in the base product.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:56 PM

All replies

• That's an HP specific feature, not from Microsoft. So I don't think you should expect it in the base product.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Actualy, it's kinda like a connector as we know it from WHS, but it's a feature available in all Mac's with OS X Leopard:

Quote from Apple:

'To start using Time Machine, all you have to do is connect an external drive (sold separately) to your Mac. You’re asked if you want it to be your backup drive, and if you say yes, Time Machine takes care of everything else. Automatically. In the background. You’ll never have to worry about backing up again.'

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

I don't know how (through what protocol) OS X talk with the backup drive, but it seams to the only thing that HP did is somehow make storage space from WHS available to a Mac. IMO that's something that everybody (read a capable programmer) can create.

Now we just have to see if any of the known, or maybe yet unknown, add-in developers has the resources to develop an add-in for people that are not using an HP WHS. (and maybe include a VNC client, Apple Remote Desktop can be set to act as a VNC Server)

I've never updated my Mac Mini's to OS X Leopard cause the first thing I did after buying them was installing Boot Camp on them, they haven't been booted into OS X for over 1,5 years :) So I can't test it myself.

Cheers,

Danee
    Media Center Plug-ins: http://www.mcesoft.nl
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

That's an HP specific feature, not from Microsoft. So I don't think you should expect it in the base product.

After re-reading my own answer to the original poster I wondered why Microsoft wouldn't include it in the base product...

I see only 2 reasons, Microsoft doesn't see a big enough market so doesn't want to allocate resources for it, or HP made a deal with Microsoft it would be an HP specific extra.

Other Microsoft departments/teams have made functions available for Mac's, so I don't see why the WHS team wouldn't (Office, Live Mesh etc.)

Cheers,

Danee
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:26 PM
  • I just did some googling, it -is- possible with the base product. Seems it has more to do with configuration on the Mac side then on WHS:

http://www.multimedia-pcs.com/how-to-use-time-machine-with-a-windows-home-server/

This was posted February 18, 2008 so HP is pretty slow.... ;)

Cheers,

Danee
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Danee, that's probably not quite what HP is doing. HP has (probably, I have neither a Mac nor a new server) created a connector-like tool that you install on your Mac that configures the Mac properly (and makes sure it stays configured properly; I seem to recall there were issues with this after some Mac OS update or other). In any case, as you pointed out this is entirely on the Mac side.

Also, the OP asked if the HP tool would be part of the base (Microsoft) product, which is the question I answered. :)

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:15 AM
  • I had the understand that HP was going to release this code (to back up the Mac OSX files) around February 1st .  Has anyone seen a schedule for this update?
    HBV
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:06 AM
  • I don't see any dates associated with this update. You might look at the MediaSmart Home web site.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:24 PM
  • WRT MS including this in the base product: They don't seem to be doing much to encourage people to buy Macs these days, so I doubt it. Although, if they took a broader view, WHS is much more feature rich than Apple's backup solutions for not a whole lot more money. So a Mac-enabled WHS could be attractive for the growing Mac user base. Maybe it will pay off for HP.

Back in October I tried the various hacks documented on the web to get my new MacBook Pro to back up to my HP EX475. I got it to work for a few backups, but then got a corruption error during backup. I deleted the backup & tried again, and all was well for a few days, and then corruption again. I had read that Apple doesn't support SMB drives for backup (hence the hacks required to let Time Machine see them), and I decided that it was time to stop playing with fire. I shelled out the money for a Time Capsule, since I wanted automated wireless backups I could rely on.

While my Time Capsule has been working flawlessly for me, I am curious whether the HP software for the Mac is available for us EX475 owners. I cannot see anything on HPs web site that says it will be. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Joe

Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:24 PM
  • While my Time Capsule has been working flawlessly for me, I am curious whether the HP software for the Mac is available for us EX475 owners. I cannot see anything on HPs web site that says it will be. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Joe

Yes, I have an email from HP's PR agency (yea for being somewhat in the press still!) around the time they launched the EX48x models and said that they would sell the necessary software to previous generation owners. They had no timeline for that however. 

Also, yes I have enabled the time machine hack that allows for SMB backups. However, while it works fine for hardwired computers (connected via ethernet), it does not work well for any computer connected via wireless. My desktop mac works great (until my WHS's HD failed this morning) and the MacBook kept getting the backup corruption errors. One of the things we might want to look for is SMB 2.0 support in WHS 2.0 (since its based on Win2k8 server) and if the Macs get support for SMB 2.0 the connections might become robust enough to allow TM backups over SMB. 
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:09 PM