Myriad of PWA errors and inconsistencies RRS feed

• Question

• I just setup PWA and I am (sadly) experiencing the many of the same issues as I saw in the 2007 version.  Jobs fail in the queue for no reason, workspaces arent successfully created.  I setup the required service apps and started the excel services, state service, project service.

To get specific, I tried publishing a new project and I got an error saying that the project couldn't be published.  I tried again, then got an error saying it couldnt be saved.  I then restarted the queue service and tried again, after which I got an error saying that a project with that name already existed (apparently it did save earlier despite the error, but it still didn't publish).  Workspace creation also failed during this same process.  This issue seems to be fixed, but based on the ridiculously inconsistent behavior I've seen, who knows?

I then noticed that I could login to PWA but couldnt click on Project Center, My Tasks, Resource Center, etc.  I got an error on the page saying "cannot communicate with the server.  Verify your connection and try again."  I was already setup with Admin permissions so I should be able to access everything.  I then logged in with the Site Collection admin account and could access those areas without issue.  This issue of not being able to login with my personal account is still open.

I've also had other users login and open the project center and they get an 'acess denied' error, even though they are setup with the default PM permissions.  This issue is still open.

I've done several deployments of 2007 and hated that I didn't have answers as to why the application was so unstable.  The addition of the new features and changes to the infrastructure made me really excited.  I had hopes that I could finally stand behind this new version, but it seems that nothing has changed with respect to stability.   I wont even get into the 2007 OLAP cube building setup process, which is the most unstable and cryptic product feature I've ever seen. I understand this is a pre-release, but I have a feeling that these types of errors wont go away when it's released.  I'm sure I'll need to dig up some error logs, but I'm not sure when or where to do this.  Somebody please tell me I missed a setup step or something.

Friday, February 26, 2010 9:57 PM

Answers

• Well, Joe, I finding the 2010 experience to be very different than the 2007 debut. Quite the contrary to what you're saying, IMO, the Project Server 2010 version has been stable since early alpha builds. I'm curious as to how you set things up. If you care to troubleshoot any of this, plese re-open the thread or start a new one that includes specifics. Otherwise, I'm closing this one as "rant received."

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hi all,

We were able to determine the cause of the error: it appeared to be a layout issue in one of the notes that was entered manually in Microsoft Project :-z. Strange but reality.

Hope you can solve your problems too with this tip if you encounter the same error.

Best regards

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• Well, Joe, I finding the 2010 experience to be very different than the 2007 debut. Quite the contrary to what you're saying, IMO, the Project Server 2010 version has been stable since early alpha builds. I'm curious as to how you set things up. If you care to troubleshoot any of this, plese re-open the thread or start a new one that includes specifics. Otherwise, I'm closing this one as "rant received."

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hi Gary and all others,

We are experiencing the same kind of trouble: when logging on to PWA with one user and try to access the Tasks, this message is shown "Cannot communicate with the server. Verify your connection and try again.". When we log on with another user (same role, same security settings, also imported from AD) it just works fine :-z.

Anyone any idea how we can resolve this?

Thanks in advance

• Proposed as answer by Bart Lipkens Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Hi all,

We were able to determine the cause of the error: it appeared to be a layout issue in one of the notes that was entered manually in Microsoft Project :-z. Strange but reality.

Hope you can solve your problems too with this tip if you encounter the same error.

Best regards

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I had the same problem, some bulletted text pasted from a MS Word document to the task notes was causing the error. Does anybody know how to create a macro that could fix the formatting of the task notes ?

Ricardo Canani
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:39 PM
  • I concur with Joe - it's best to wait until the SP1 is out for Project Server 2010 - the mix of Project Server 2010 and SharePoint Server 2010 is simply not stable.

Gary, I followed your Administration book line by line but still ended up with a setup which is unreliable and really unstable - Queue Management, Timesheet approval routing, user synchronization, etc etc - too many issues in these areas and more.

Friday, February 4, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Luckily SP1 is hopefully almost here.  While I agree that for us for the most part our deployments have been relatively stable, we have had a significant amount of problems and errors - some of which were confirmed as issues in the products.  For the most part we are trying to hold off our bigger upgrades and migrations to 2010 until SP1.  The folks from Microsoft doesn't like to hear it ( :-) ), but its a uncomfortable fact that a lot of big enterprise shops have policies (either formal or informal) preventing them from deploying Microsoft software before it has reached SP1 (we certainly have at least one large customer like that) 

However, I think the best thing to do is to use this forum to try and get to the root of the problems and then escalate it to PSS if you find an issue (if MS confirms your problem as a known issue in the product you won't get charged and you might even get a hotfix out of it).  It could be argued that the responsibility of this effort should not be on the customer, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow, i suppose :-)

Bart, we also have those issues but I think the guys have caught the problem and it should be a matter of time before it will be fixed in an update.

http://blogs.umtsa.co.za/nicoo
    Friday, February 4, 2011 6:13 PM