Unauthorize Key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a question. I currently own 4 Copies of Windows XP 3 Professional Edition and 1 Home Edition.
    My problem: When I try to activate Windows it gives me an Unauthorized key.

The problem is I can not remember if this key was used for my Desktop or my Laptop.

When I try the other key on the computer it says it has allready been activated. The third XP key is for another computer and the Home edition is for my very old computer, but I can not remember which of the two keys goes to which computer. The third key is for another computer and I know which one that goes to.

The computer I am trying to activate is a HP DC5100. I don't have a recovery CD, and there is a Home License on it(don't know if it works). i got this computer a while ago with no OS on it so I brought a XP pro and it worked fine until memory went bad and I got a nasty virus that caused me to reformat rather then just clean it up..

Anyone know what option it would be best?

1. Call Microsoft with the current key and have them reopen so I can reactivate?
    2. Somehow find which license went with which computer and then call them up *someone tell me how I can tell*
    3. Use my Home Edition I have to reinstall then when activation comes replace the CD home key with the one on the computer(home key also) and hope for the best.. <- Seems like best option?

*It says genuinue Windows XP Home on the sticker, however I do not know if the license is valid.. Its a Home edition which means I will have to erase again and use personal Home CD to reinstall.

I just reformatted and have 30 days left to activate.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it. Right now it is XP SP1 and can not update until I get activation cleared up.

I would like to point out that the EULA license agrement for the XP pro that I have is 1 computer only

Oh and here is the log that everyone seems to be posting:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-V7X7H-8VY68-W7D7M
    Windows Product Key Hash: CLsBse60gH1adtpz/74j2YYn9EQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-012-9869442-22943
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro
    ID: {90DAA6D1-345A-4298-BD0A-808315483D2E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-458-80041015_025D1FF3-344-80041015_025D1FF3-229-80041015_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_FCEE394C-458-80041015_025D1FF3-344-80041015_025D1FF3-229-80041015_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{90DAA6D1-345A-4298-BD0A-808315483D2E}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-W7D7M</PKey><PID>55274-012-9869442-22943</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-823518204-839522115</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>76C93C470184406D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 9C19:Compaq Computer Corporation|1155C:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Compaq Computer Corporation|EAF8:Compaq Computer Corporation|11583:Compaq Computer Corporation|11583:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Hewlett-Packard Company|EAF8:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it!

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hello JohnathanD,

Retail Software: Generally, most Retail Microsoft Software can be used on any number of computers as you wish as long as they are only installed on one computer at a time.

OEM Software: Generally, most OEM Microsoft Software can only be used on the first computer it was installed on. You can reinstall it and re-activated it on the same computer, just not any other computer.

Activation: Generally most Microsoft Software is not limited in how many times it can be Activated. If you move software from one computer to another (in the case of Retail software) when you activate it on a new computer, it may say the key is already in use. All that means is you need to Activate By Phone.

In your case, just be sure that any software that came with a computer, stays on that computer and ensure that your retail versions are only installed one product key per computer  (i.e. the same product key not used in more then one computer) and if you have a problem activating, try activating by phone. (Note: if the Phone Prompt can't activate your software, call again, but this time don't say or enter anything into the phone, that should force the phone prompt to transfer you to a live Activation Rep).

Disclamer: I am not a Licensing Expert.  The End User Licensing Agreement, that came with your particulare software will always take precedence over any information I have provided.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:48 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Johnathan,
    Would your software perhaps have been issued with a Dell? If it is OEM, there is a huge problem I have just found out about. It seems that you cannot do a clean install (format the drive then reinstall) from these disks. You will always get an error message of invalid key. Manufacturers have a disable key they use. You can find the info. here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/04/unable-to-activate-windows-xp-and-vista-with-coa-oem-key-online-without-phone-activation/ . So, the consumer is left holding the bag. No wonder I hate Microsoft. How many legal copies of Windows do I own? I'm not really sure, but I just bought a new computer without any software on it and had to install Windows. I have home, professional, upgrade and others. Nothing works for me because I made the mistake of buying Dells in the past. So, my legal software can't be used even though the old computer went to the dump. Only the sticker on the side of the old computer supposedly has the correct key, but I'm betting even that wouldn't work. It should be my software to use as I paid for this copy but that's Microsoft for you. And we wonder why people pirate. Good thing I have a conscience or I would get a pirated copy. It is very tempting at this point. So, I am off to buy yet another copy of Windows. What a way to waste money. I'm just so glad the Microsoft people have become billionaires pulling this scam and many others. To bad Microsoft doesn't have a conscience. Maybe one day they will be forced to do something besides steal other people's software to include in Windows then send the piracy police to make sure your legal copies are legal. I wish we had a good alternative to Microsoft. Maybe one day someone else will come up with it. I think I'll write to the Google people. They seem up for the challenge.
    Good luck,
    Diane
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Ok, so the home edition that is on the computer will not work then. The license that is currently install on this computer is a MSDN license from the school and it is good for 1 computer. XP Pro. The problem is I got 2 XP Pro from it and I can not tell if this one was installed originally on this computer or if this particular license went to my laptop. Also if anyone could answer this question. I brought a Home edition from Best Buy and it has been only activated once on a very old computer. Does anyone know how many times a (Retail Home version can be activated and used? If I am allow on more then one computer. The reason why I want to get the license sort it out is the next time if I ever have to erase my laptop and reinstall Windows, I just want activation to go through without having to call Microsoft again.. I had to do it before, it was an ok experience, The guy on the other line was very nice and helpful.. The problem is inserting all those numbers into the phone. I had to do it once for myself and once for a friend and it was not fun. If I have to call Microsoft again I will do that, but the key says Unauthorized rather then Key has been used by Maximum or something to that line, so I just want to make sure this Authorize key is ok first and if this one is the one I used on the desktop.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Hi Johnathan,
    Would your software perhaps have been issued with a Dell? If it is OEM, there is a huge problem I have just found out about. It seems that you cannot do a clean install (format the drive then reinstall) from these disks. You will always get an error message of invalid key. Manufacturers have a disable key they use. You can find the info. here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/04/unable-to-activate-windows-xp-and-vista-with-coa-oem-key-online-without-phone-activation/ . So, the consumer is left holding the bag. No wonder I hate Microsoft. How many legal copies of Windows do I own? I'm not really sure, but I just bought a new computer without any software on it and had to install Windows. I have home, professional, upgrade and others. Nothing works for me because I made the mistake of buying Dells in the past. So, my legal software can't be used even though the old computer went to the dump. Only the sticker on the side of the old computer supposedly has the correct key, but I'm betting even that wouldn't work. It should be my software to use as I paid for this copy but that's Microsoft for you. And we wonder why people pirate. Good thing I have a conscience or I would get a pirated copy. It is very tempting at this point. So, I am off to buy yet another copy of Windows. What a way to waste money. I'm just so glad the Microsoft people have become billionaires pulling this scam and many others. To bad Microsoft doesn't have a conscience. Maybe one day they will be forced to do something besides steal other people's software to include in Windows then send the piracy police to make sure your legal copies are legal. I wish we had a good alternative to Microsoft. Maybe one day someone else will come up with it. I think I'll write to the Google people. They seem up for the challenge.
    Good luck,
    Diane
    That is incorrect. 

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)   OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)    COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

If your Windows is using an OEM SLP key, and (for whatever reason) it cannot see the special instructions in the computer’s motherboard and is unable to Self-Activate, then change keys to the COA SLP key (the one on the Certificate of Authenticity  sticker on the side or bottom of the computer) if your computer did not come with a certificate of authenticity, then it's not Genuine Microsoft Software...In which case, don't hate Microsoft, hate the people that sold you the counterfit. 
    Do you hate Rolex when someone off the steet sells you a counterfit Rolex Watch? 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:31 PM

• Hello JohnathanD,

Retail Software: Generally, most Retail Microsoft Software can be used on any number of computers as you wish as long as they are only installed on one computer at a time.

OEM Software: Generally, most OEM Microsoft Software can only be used on the first computer it was installed on. You can reinstall it and re-activated it on the same computer, just not any other computer.

Activation: Generally most Microsoft Software is not limited in how many times it can be Activated. If you move software from one computer to another (in the case of Retail software) when you activate it on a new computer, it may say the key is already in use. All that means is you need to Activate By Phone.

In your case, just be sure that any software that came with a computer, stays on that computer and ensure that your retail versions are only installed one product key per computer  (i.e. the same product key not used in more then one computer) and if you have a problem activating, try activating by phone. (Note: if the Phone Prompt can't activate your software, call again, but this time don't say or enter anything into the phone, that should force the phone prompt to transfer you to a live Activation Rep).

Disclamer: I am not a Licensing Expert.  The End User Licensing Agreement, that came with your particulare software will always take precedence over any information I have provided.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:48 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:48 PM