Failing primary drive - Do I lose backups? RRS feed

• Question

• Returned home and found that HWS was reporting problems with the sys and primary drive.  I let WHS fix the drive and it worked for a while.  Later I lost the ability to connect to any shared folders then the WHS console.  I rebooted the WHS box and my profile had been lost.

Anyway it appears as if the drive is failiing.  I found the posts on replacing the drive and selecting server re-installation but I am wondering if I will lose my backups as well or if they will be recovered in the re-install process.

One of my PC's (backed up on WHS)  is being repaired and I might hold off on re-installing until I can confirm it returns intact.  I can access the WHS console but I am nervous to use WHS as problems seem to be re-occuring.

Edit - the WHS has 3 320GB drives

Thanks,
    Brian

Thursday, December 27, 2007 1:43 AM

Answers

• You might lose your PC backups. It depends on whether Windows Home Server has stored any components of the backup database on the system drive. I would suggest you use the "loose file" restore capability to copy the files that were on the PC that's out for repair onto another drive elsewhere on your network in the meantime, just in case.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:49 AM