Will WHS Vail work on quad quad four? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am building a home server using

TYAN S4985G3NR Thunder n4250QE Quad 1207(F) NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 + 2050 SSI MEB footprint Four AMD Opteron (Rev. F) 8000 series (quad-core) processors Server Motherboard.

I also wish to use RAID mirror and stripe combo. Will WHS Vail work on this system, or will I need to use Linux. I would appreciate any input.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:37 AM

Answers

•  I am building a home server using TYAN S4985G3NR Thunder n4250QE Quad 1207(F) NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 + 2050 SSI MEB footprint Four AMD Opteron (Rev. F) 8000 series (quad-core) processors Server Motherboard.

I also wish to use RAID mirror and stripe combo. Will WHS Vail work on this system, or will I need to use Linux. I would appreciate any input.

In terms of hardware, yes it should work.  The underlying OS (Server 2008 R2 Standard) supports 4 sockets so I assume that the same limitations apply to Vail as well (although I haven't actually tried it).  However, RAID is not supported on WHS (either v1 or Vail).  Plus Vail is beta and you shouldn't put your only copy of anything on it at this point.  (Not to mention that 4 quad-core processors is complete overkill.  If you need that much power, you're selecting the wrong OS to begin with.)
    • Marked as answer by doggonit55 Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:14 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:16 AM
  • I do.  WHS is more of a "set it and forget it" type OS.  It's not really meant to be used for much more than media storage and streaming and client backups.  It would probably do what you want, but WHS is not the most efficient use of the hardware you're throwing at it and the applications you are talking about aren't the most efficient way to use WHS.

What you should use depends on the apps you're going to run or build.  Find software packages that do what you want and build a server around them.  Figure out what development environment you're going to use and target a platform... then build around that.

WHS is sort of the iPod of server OSes.  While it's great at what it does, it's ONLY great at what it's meant to do.

I foresee something linux or opensolaris based in your future, and a lot of coding to go with it... unless you already have a home automation system in mind.  

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:10 AM
  • So do you recommend a different OS?

Did I? No. At least not yet.. ;-)

I am looking at the high efficiency version

This server will also be used for video surveillance with 24 cameras continuously recording.

WHS is not designed for this, although it may work. But yu need this amount & kind of procs.. I doubt heavily.
    For that extra $$$ you better get a WHS for the WHS-tasks and another system for the other tasks. If you keep the # of proc for WHS to one and the other system too (for both I think it's enough) you have plenty of money left still....
     > well as back-up for the other computers.
    Perfect for WHS!

For drives would look at the WD green series, but I understand they are'nt meant for continuous use.

Who says?

Btw, I prefer Samsung.. they keep showing the lowest temperature here and run great (1 TB/1.5TB). But if I get a new one, I grab the 2 TB.

PS: You better pay attention to the amount of SATA connection and get a motherboard with a USB 3.0 and/or SATA 600 (especially great if you want fast backup to external drives)

"doggonit55" wrote in message news:9ecae6ff-a58c-4a2a-9323-ac4278377be7@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

This server will also be used for video surveillance with 24 cameras continuously recording. Also working on plans for home automation, as well as back-up for the other computers. Was also hoping to use it for home media. I just didn't want to do those particular tasks on my other computers. I also donate computer time for SETI, Folding at Home, Etc. As for the processors, I am looking at the high efficiency version. For drives would look at the WD green series, but I understand they are'nt meant for continuous use.

So do you recommend a different OS?

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:28 AM

All replies

•  I am building a home server using TYAN S4985G3NR Thunder n4250QE Quad 1207(F) NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 + 2050 SSI MEB footprint Four AMD Opteron (Rev. F) 8000 series (quad-core) processors Server Motherboard.

In terms of hardware, yes it should work.  The underlying OS (Server 2008 R2 Standard) supports 4 sockets so I assume that the same limitations apply to Vail as well (although I haven't actually tried it).  However, RAID is not supported on WHS (either v1 or Vail).  Plus Vail is beta and you shouldn't put your only copy of anything on it at this point.  (Not to mention that 4 quad-core processors is complete overkill.  If you need that much power, you're selecting the wrong OS to begin with.)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Four AMD Opteron (Rev. F) 8000 series (quad-core) processors

FFFFFF.. our processors?
    No idea why you come with this idea of getting four processors in a Windows Home Server.
    In my opinion, as long as it's 64 bit proc. it's ok. And only ONE needed I prefer the e versions (low energy since it's running 24 hours), but proc isn't the area to worry about.

"doggonit55" wrote in message news:76edc8a2-8597-46ef-8d57-2dff7c93aec8@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am building a home server usingTYAN S4985G3NR Thunder n4250QE Quad 1207(F) NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 + 2050 SSI MEB footprint Four AMD Opteron (Rev. F) 8000 series (quad-core) processors Server Motherboard.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:53 AM
  • This server will also be used for video surveillance with 24 cameras continuously recording. Also working on plans for home automation, as well as back-up for the other computers. Was also hoping to use it for home media.  I just didn't want  to do those particular tasks on my other computers. I also donate computer time for SETI, Folding at Home, Etc. As for the processors, I am looking at the high efficiency version. For drives would look at the WD green series, but I understand they are'nt meant for continuous use.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:09 AM
  • I do.  WHS is more of a "set it and forget it" type OS.  It's not really meant to be used for much more than media storage and streaming and client backups.  It would probably do what you want, but WHS is not the most efficient use of the hardware you're throwing at it and the applications you are talking about aren't the most efficient way to use WHS.

What you should use depends on the apps you're going to run or build.  Find software packages that do what you want and build a server around them.  Figure out what development environment you're going to use and target a platform... then build around that.

WHS is sort of the iPod of server OSes.  While it's great at what it does, it's ONLY great at what it's meant to do.

I foresee something linux or opensolaris based in your future, and a lot of coding to go with it... unless you already have a home automation system in mind.  

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:10 AM
  • So do you recommend a different OS?

Did I? No. At least not yet.. ;-)

I am looking at the high efficiency version

This server will also be used for video surveillance with 24 cameras continuously recording.

WHS is not designed for this, although it may work. But yu need this amount & kind of procs.. I doubt heavily.
    For that extra $$$ you better get a WHS for the WHS-tasks and another system for the other tasks. If you keep the # of proc for WHS to one and the other system too (for both I think it's enough) you have plenty of money left still....
     > well as back-up for the other computers.
    Perfect for WHS!

For drives would look at the WD green series, but I understand they are'nt meant for continuous use.

Who says?

Btw, I prefer Samsung.. they keep showing the lowest temperature here and run great (1 TB/1.5TB). But if I get a new one, I grab the 2 TB.

PS: You better pay attention to the amount of SATA connection and get a motherboard with a USB 3.0 and/or SATA 600 (especially great if you want fast backup to external drives)

"doggonit55" wrote in message news:9ecae6ff-a58c-4a2a-9323-ac4278377be7@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

This server will also be used for video surveillance with 24 cameras continuously recording. Also working on plans for home automation, as well as back-up for the other computers. Was also hoping to use it for home media. I just didn't want to do those particular tasks on my other computers. I also donate computer time for SETI, Folding at Home, Etc. As for the processors, I am looking at the high efficiency version. For drives would look at the WD green series, but I understand they are'nt meant for continuous use.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Thanks. You and "Leen" have put me on the right track.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Sorry, it was Kayira21 that was suggesting a different OS.

I really like your idea of splitting off into 2 systems, WHS just for backups and maybe some of the other features, and the other (Tyan quad quad) for the rest. I realize the Tyan is overkill, but at $200.00 for a new board, it was hard to pass up. It was much cheaper than my Asus boards in the past. And if I go with the mid-range opterons, it will be a relatively inexpensive system for its' capability. They are actually cheaper than the Phenom, if you shop around.

I suppose Linux will be the OS for the Tyan. It's about time I took the plunge and learned about that OS. WHS would have been much easier to set up, I'm sure.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:03 PM
  • To be honest, you're wasting your money. It's true that it is your money to waste, but you're looking at a minimum of a thousand dollars to build the server, and probably $600+ per year for electricity to run it. And you're wasting almost all of the performance. Nothing you say you want to do requires even a fraction of the horsepower you'll have available, and while SETI, Folding@Home, etc. sound like worthy causes, you'd do better to donate the money directly...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Purpose:

Building computers has been a hobby of mine for about 5 years. Don't drink, don't smoke, kids gone. This is my only vice. I get a lot of enjoyment out of creating something really special, when it comes to computers.  A server will be new to me. In the past it has been gaming computers. I am not totally ignorant, and do know I could get by with less. It's just that I seem driven to see how far I can go.

Cost:

Except for the motherboard ($200.00 for a $700.00 board) and case (unable to find a used one), all used parts. high efficiency processors $75.00 each used. 2mb Memory less than $20.00 each. Believe it or not, I have had really good luck so far buying used parts.  Already have a 750 watt power supply. It will probably be the cheapest computer I have built.

Energy:

It is really nice to hear from all of you ideas for components that are energy efficient. leen recommends the Samsung hard drives.  Ken calculates $600.00 per year energy cost. The Opteron HE series even in the quad core are rated at 55 watts each. The Phenom quad core in my gaming computer is rated at 125 watts. The computers I had hoped to replace with this server have power supplies totaling 1250 watts. This excludes the gaming computer that is only on a max. of 15-30 hours a week. So part of my plan was actually a reduction of energy expenditure.

Problem:

It seems that Windows Server Vail will not be able to read RAID setup. I had my heart set on at least a mirror setup. I'm assuming WSV would be much easier to set up than Linux.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I assumed ~500w total power consumption, and local electric rates. I think you're probably using less than that today, but it would be hard to say for sure.

In any case, if you're doing it for fun, and have the money to spend, go ahead. I think you'll wind up learning why IT pros buy servers from vendors rather than building them from parts, but it sounds like you'll enjoy the learning process. :) I'd still rather see a chunk of money go to a local charity, though...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:52 PM
  • I addition to Ken:

high efficiency processors $75.00

You can buy a one WHS-proof proc for ~$ 75 ; saves 3x 75

2mb Memory less than $20.00 each

That's expensive.. ;-) Even if it's 2 GB instead of 2mb... 2 GB is not really future proof.

($200.00 for a $700.00 board)

Don't watch the save (there is a reason for that lower price..). It's still $200 netto. Could buy a nice WH-proof one for 50% it.

Does the mobo have SATA600 and/or USB 3.0... you will miss that sooner than you can imagine.

Point is that you "save" on things you soon miss en spend $$ on things you'll never miss anyway.

But then again, you asked if the stuff would work, but it seem you already did buy it. The other way around would have been more logical ;-)

"doggonit55" wrote in message news:c76826da-b018-46f9-a790-ecdc9dd2b661@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Purpose:

Building computers has been a hobby of mine for about 5 years. Don't drink, don't smoke, kids gone. This is my only vice. I get a lot of enjoyment out of creating something really special, when it comes to computers. A server will be new to me. In the past it has been gaming computers. I am not totally ignorant, and do know I could get by with less. It's just that I seem driven to see how far I can go.

Cost:

Except for the motherboard ($200.00 for a $700.00 board) and case (unable to find a used one), all used parts. high efficiency processors $75.00 each used. 2mb Memory less than $20.00 each. Believe it or not, I have had really good luck so far buying used parts. Already have a 750 watt power supply. It will probably be the cheapest computer I have built.

Energy:

It is really nice to hear from all of you ideas for components that are energy efficient. leen recommends the Samsung hard drives. Ken calculates $600.00 per year energy cost. The Opteron HE series even in the quad core are rated at 55 watts each. The Phenom quad core in my gaming computer is rated at 125 watts. The computers I had hoped to replace with this server have power supplies totaling 1250 watts. This excludes the gaming computer that is only on a max. of 15-30 hours a week. So part of my plan was actually a reduction of energy expenditure.

Problem:

It seems that Windows Server Vail will not be able to read RAID setup. I had my heart set on at least a mirror setup. I'm assuming WSV would be much easier to set up than Linux.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:18 PM
  • I appreciate the help, but could some of you be a little less condescending? I came to this forum because I expected to blog with fellow computer enthusiasts that know something I don't know. And you do. Maybe there is something wrong with me that I want to use older generation parts to build something that isn't the same as what everyone else has. Evidently I had the misconception that server grade components would give me a good, stable machine, unlike my gaming computers that are run to the sharp edge. Commercially produced computers have never held up well for me. I wanted a tractor. Something that keeps on running and running.

And I'm dinged for not giving the money to charity?

It seems that I don't fit well with this forum.

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:41 AM
  • No, it's not you.  Ken has a hard on for just about anyone who doesn't conform to his standards.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:55 AM
  • Thanks. I'm outta here. I need to go to a tweeking or overclocker's forum. I'm not conservative enough to survive here.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:35 AM
  • No, it's not you.  Ken has a hard on for just about anyone who doesn't conform to his standards.

Reported.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:43 AM
  • I appreciate the help, but could some of you be a little less condescending? I came to this forum because I expected to blog with fellow computer enthusiasts that know something I don't know. And you do. Maybe there is something wrong with me that I want to use older generation parts to build something that isn't the same as what everyone else has. 
    You can use whatever parts you want although I personally don't think using used parts is a good idea for any computer (especially one that you would presumably be using to store your most valuable data, i.e. family photos that can't be replaced).

Evidently I had the misconception that server grade components would give me a good, stable machine, unlike my gaming computers that are run to the sharp edge.

Yes, they would.  However, the point is that the hardware you want to use goes far beyond anything you could possibly need for Vail (even with the unsupported surveillance cameras).  Heck, we use SQL Server (which is much more resource intensive than video recording) at my place of employment and our server has only 2 quads.  :)

Commercially produced computers have never held up well for me. I wanted a tractor. Something that keeps on running and running.

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:04 AM
  • They will tell you too how it is, regardless how you think about your own choices. Since it has nothing to do with "conservative" or not.

"doggonit55" wrote in message news:9be4bfb3-9f6b-4889-ac42-e9b1bb79f794@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks. I'm outta here. I need to go to a tweeking or overclocker's forum. I'm not conservative enough to survive here.

Have a nice day!
    Friday, July 30, 2010 9:13 AM
  • I appreciate the help, but could some of you be a little less condescending? I came to this forum because I expected to blog with fellow computer enthusiasts that know something I don't know. And you do. Maybe there is something wrong with me that I want to use older generation parts to build something that isn't the same as what everyone else has. Evidently I had the misconception that server grade components would give me a good, stable machine, unlike my gaming computers that are run to the sharp edge. Commercially produced computers have never held up well for me. I wanted a tractor. Something that keeps on running and running.

I have to say I agree with the sentiments here.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 1:48 PM
  • I say go ahead and build your big server machine, it's good fun to play around with this stuff.  Then install a proper Windows 2008 R2 install on it with a heap of Ram and run VM's for things like WHS etc.
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Slightly old post... but hopefully you didn't go that route, as now WHS is only going to support one socket.  I found this post, as I was considering going the opteron route as well, as I wanted a semi-work horse with remote management.  I ended up with the following:

Case w/8x3.5inch hot plugs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152116

Mobo w/remote management

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182211

CPU w/four cores and full ECC support

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117226

8GB Registered ECC Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139038

Dedicated RAID adapter for the system volume, whether “approved” or not:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116075

I found the boards/io controllers/everything seem to have quite a bit better following on the server hardware, though I use Phenom II's in my desktops.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:00 PM