none
Getting frequent unexpected shutdown errors (every 2 to 7 days) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm at a loss to troubleshoot this. Any suggstions?

OEM WHS, memory passes 24 hour memtest, suspect issues with MB nforce controller and my three 1TB drives.

I was running WHS w/o monitor and keyboard, but I attached a couple of weeks ago. All that happens is screen is locked, mouse and keyboard do not work, no error on screen. Have to rest machine, and then in system error log I will find 6008 event from hours before.

Tearing what little hair out I have trying to figure this out.

I'm thinking of finding a new motherboard that is not nforce based ...

Help! Thanks.

P.S. It's now crashed three times in the last 24 hours. It's just locked up on the screen, mouse won't move, numlock does not work. No real way to get data other than the 6008 event in the system log. This is getting real old fast.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• This has come up before, and in general, is usually been the nVidia drivers that were at fault. On occasion, the drivers interfere with the chkdsk operation which causes the whole system to freeze.

You 'could' try the latest drivers available, but, only use the basic drivers, don't install any ones that might be unused, or any of the fripperies. That,more or less, means just the disk drivers, if required, and the network drivers.

Colin

Monday, April 7, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Yeah, I had seen posts that indicated trouble with the nVidia SATA drivers. So a couple of weeks ago I backed them out and ran with the standard MS IDE drivers -- which by the way the MB and drives will work and show up as IDE drives, not sure if this is some emulation or what. But I get these lock-ups whether I run with the IDE drivers or the nVidia SATA drivers.

Before I left work I tried installing an earlier version of the SATA drivers I found online. I'll see how this goes.

Still looking for other ideas or thoughts. Anyone else have an nVidia system working?

Charlie

P.S. I'm running three 1TB drives. I've seen some people report issues only with the 1TB drives.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Good luck, what make of drives are you using? Power supply loading? What do you get if you run the Toolkit on the server?

Colin

Monday, April 7, 2008 8:43 PM
  • I'm using the WD "green" 1TB drives.

The system hung in less than 6 hours today with the differesnt SATA drivers.

I'll swap power supplies this weekend, and then get a new MB mext week if I still have the problem.

This is a real low power unit -- it only draws about 55 watts idle and 75 watts under load. I picked the components for low watts for 24x7 usage -- our power rates are real high where I live.

I submitted TALQ report a month ago and just got a reply from MS today. Nothing to help find a solution -- they said they just see random lockups due to unknown hardware problem.

Very frustrating!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

Well, those drives are popular and not normally a problem. What are the Video and NIC, as they are the other two items that could cause a lockup.

Also, what does the TooKit log show on the server, it has the option to do diagnostics on the server storage,which might give some indications.

Colin

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:08 PM