CRM 2011: Unable to load plugin assembly RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I am trying to import my solution to new environment, and get 'Unable to load plugin assembly'. When I run the plugin registration tool(Isolation Mode: None, Assembly stored location: Database), I get the same error. I'm doing this as System account, so I think I have full control permission. I check two xrm.sdk.dll and xrm.client.dll are under GAC as well. The PDB file is under ..\server\bin\assembly as well. Basically I tried all I found from all the web resources, none of them works. However, my solution can be imported to other environment without issues. So I guess something is wrong with the new environment. Totoally run out of idea. Need help!

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• My memory fails, but if i recall there were some issues around whether your plugin has a default constructor 'yourPlugin()' , maybe as part of the change from 4.0 to 2011?

Also, double-check that you are a deployment administrator. Do you get any more detail other than 'unable to load plugin assembly'?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Yes. I am a deployment administrator. Again, I want to mention that the plugin assembly runs OK in other environment. This is what I got when I run the plugin registration tool.

Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: Unable to load plug-in assembly.
    Detail: <OrganizationServiceFault xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts" xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <ErrorCode>-2147204719</ErrorCode>
      <ErrorDetails xmlns:a="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />
      <Message>Unable to load plug-in assembly.</Message>
      <Timestamp>2012-04-11T20:04:58.5037278Z</Timestamp>
      <InnerFault>
        <ErrorCode>-2147204719</ErrorCode>
        <ErrorDetails xmlns:a="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />
        <Message>Unable to load plug-in assembly.</Message>
        <Timestamp>2012-04-11T20:04:58.5037278Z</Timestamp>
        <InnerFault i:nil="true" />
        <TraceText i:nil="true" />
      </InnerFault>
      <TraceText i:nil="true" />
    </OrganizationServiceFault>
    Server stack trace:
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)
    Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.IOrganizationService.Create(Entity entity)
       at Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.Client.OrganizationServiceProxy.CreateCore(Entity entity)
       at PluginRegistrationTool.RegistrationHelper.RegisterAssembly(CrmOrganization org, String pathToAssembly, CrmPluginAssembly assembly) in \\D-MJKNTT6\c$\CRM2011\sdk\tools\pluginregistration\RegistrationHelper.cs:line 227
       at PluginRegistrationTool.PluginRegistrationForm.btnRegister_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in \\D-MJKNTT6\c$\CRM2011\sdk\tools\pluginregistration\PluginRegistrationForm.cs:line 461

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Make sure that you have the correct version of the Microsoft.Xrm.Client assembly in the GAC; if necessary, you can store multiple versions of the same assembly in the GAC.

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Had the same issue with a 2011 plugin no clues on the trace logs. I have the 2013 developer tools installed and it seems the references to Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Proxy and Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk on the project where the incorrect versions for 2011. I changed them out manually with the 2011 sdk dll's and it went through.
    • Proposed as answer by Kieran Petrie Monday, January 27, 2014 1:09 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Thanks Kieran for the post. I had the exact same problem when trying to register my custom workflow assembly - no clue in the error message or the CRM trace file. After reading your response, checked my CDK references and guess what they were pointing to 2013 SDK rather than 2011. Updating them was the only thing that I needed to do in order to successfully register my assemly. Thanks again.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:41 PM