Backup fails at 13% - Drive D RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to backup a client (MCE-2005) and keep getting failure messages:

ASUS K8N (3000+ w 2g memory), 3 hard drives:

C:\ System Drive (80g drive with 31g used)  PATA (channel 1 primary)
    D:\ My Documents Drive (80g drive with 66g used) PATA (channel 1 secondary)
    E:\ My Media Drive (320g with 228g used) SATA channel 3

All device drivers are current - OS is current on both machines - router has latest firmware.

During my 1st backup attempt all 3 drives were configured - Drive C: was backed up, but failed on both D: and E:  - Tried again several times with the same results.

Changed configuration - only trying to back Drive D: - process keeps failing at 13%
    Wondering why Drive C: is able to backup but not the other 2 drives...

[And when it fails at 13% - the client locks up - can't use mouse or keyboard. Eventually system reboots on its own].  WHS however does not immediately recognize that the client has locked up / rebooted - it takes a few minutes until it updates itself and reports the backup failure.]

Have read about running diskcheck on the drives - no problems found.

Have read about possible problems with nVidia ATA controller issues - I believe I'm using the latest nForce3 250 chipset drivers.

Have read about possible problems with NIC communications - am using 10/100 cards/router (not a 1000 hardware environment, yet). Would consider this a primary area of concern - but then why does Drive C backup work?

Wondering why the C:\SYS backup works and the two data drives fail

• Edited by Spinman Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:02 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 2:59 AM

All replies

• Are these drives formatted NTFS?
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Yep - everything is NTFS...

[Have also noticed today that my (3) SD Card Reader are no longer in device manager (motherboard usb connection).   I'll have to track down why that is not registering. Any connection?....]
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Hi,
    if you exclude drive D: from backup, will backup go through? (Unfortunately, once backup stops unexpected on one disk, if won't resume and try the next disk.)
    Please open a command prompt on the client and run
    chkdsk d: /f /r
    This will take a while and may require a reboot, but often it discovers disk errors and fixes the problem.
    Check also the event log of the client for related errors.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 1:31 PM