Time to listen to customers RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a genuine copy of Windows that came with my major brand name computer.  I will never purchase counterfit, black market, grey market or even slightly off-white market software.  The intrusion of WGA into my computer was surreptitious, unwelcome, unnecessary and unwanted.  It's time for Microsoft to provide a method to completely uninstall WGA, and to make certain that nothing like it is ever included with VISTA or any other Windows update.  Otherwise, I will not ever purchase an upgrade, since I won't risk a glitch in WGA or a similar kill switch shutting down my perfectly legitimate computer!  Please, listen to your customers and do right by them.  Thanks.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 2:36 AM

All replies

• The Windows Genuine Advantage program does not, and will not, include a "kill switch" or the capabilities to "shut down" a computer.

Thanks,

-phil

Friday, October 6, 2006 2:41 AM
  •  

It won't kill your pc, but will slowly render it impossible to use properly should WGA mistakely find that a legitimate program is illegitimate. (I know, that could NEVER happen)

How many times must I use this rogram to verify my copy of XP? I have done it 3 times now. I am in Japan, on a Japanese OS. What happens if say the next time I run WGA, it claims I have an illegal copy? Do I have to try to fight thru Microsoft in Japan in Japanese? Do I have to call the US and pay for support to repair a MS mistake? MS needn't listen to customers. At least not me. My next computer will be a Mac.

Friday, October 6, 2006 5:00 AM
  • Q. Does “reduced functionality” mean Microsoft will turn off people’s PCs running non-genuine Windows Vista software?

A. No, Microsoft anti-piracy technologies cannot and will not turn off your computer.

Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/oct06/10-04SoftwareProtection.mspx

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:29 PM
  • I, too, join the ranks of people who are really upset with the intrusion of WGA and OGA.  I had to disable my network card in order to trouble shoot a problem I'm having with a game and my video card.  I take snapshots of pop-up windows from the game, place them in a Microsoft Word 2003 document, and send them off to the manufacturer of the game.  Oh, I turned off my network card so I could disable all of my security programs from running in the background, taking up precious resources that my pig of a game needs to run with.

Lo-and-behold, I did the screen print, opened up Word, and it asked me to register Microsoft Word 2003.  I thought, "Why is it asking me that when I registered it a long time ago?"  So, I said I wanted to do it later, and it completely shutdown any functionality of Word 2003.  I can't use the product I paid for unless my network is running?  Excuse me, but WHAT THE #$)(&#)?  Now, if that isn't evidence that Microsoft software is trying to take over our computers, I don't know what is.  This is an infringement of our privacy, Microsoft is trying to use our computer information to store in its own database, and for all any of us know, MS is using the information to figure out how to get around any software manufacturer's security software.  I'm really peeved by this move. It creates network overhead, and my Office 2003 software is talking to Microsoft's Network every time I use any of its products? That's insane!!!!!!!!  But, is it?  The average user has no clue about these things, so they will be victims of privacy violations without even knowing it.  Who, at Microsoft, is worried about any company catching you?  It can't be Bill Gates; he's set for life anyway.  This has got to be paranoia, unfounded, and all the secrecy and sneakiness is absolutely unnecessary!!!  We should receive every piece of information you have about all products that could affect us; why all hidden, unapproved by customer, moves?  I just don't get it!

Oh, then some desktop snoop program from Microsoft tried to sneak onto my computer, and every security program I have went off!!!  When I found out it came from Microsoft when I wasn't looking, wasn't doing any updates, I was fuming!  I set Automatic Updates to notify me of the downloads so I can look at them before they download or install.  The same week that thing tried to sneak on my computer, they announced it in Microsoft Downloads!  Those responding to this original post need to take your blinders off.  Whether it disabled or enables products to work or not work, what is going on is a clear sign of privacy violations.

Aside from that, they used the entire world for Beta-testing on LiveID products, and it made such a mess with email address vs. Passport vs. LiveID, that it took them months to figure out and resolve.  There is no telephone # for LiveID, I got passed around to double-digit number of reps, and they kept telling me I had to logon to their website for help.  Well, I couldn't, because logging on to any website using Passport/LiveID was trashed by Microsoft's Beta-testing that product with no customer approval.  For those who know what Beta-testing is, you know that it opens you up to any problems a product has before it is released ... so they can fix the problems before it is unleashed upon the world.  In this case, they did it to millions of people who didn't even know it was coming, and weren't asked if they wanted to be Beta-testers.  I consider Windows/Office Genuine Advantage the same sort of thing, and I don't like it one bit.

Dangit, Microsoft, does this have to turn into a big fiasco, like software company infringement rights did when those companies sued you for making their software fail?  I see a class-action suit here!!!!!!!!  Stop this train before it really gains steam, and nobody can stop it, including you.  Please!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:36 PM
  • There are a lot of different issues being brought up on this thread that I'm happy to discuss.  I work for Microsoft on the business side of WGA, and I'm interested in your feedback. I'm not an expert on OGA, which sounds like might be part of the problem, but I would like to hear about WGA-specific issues.   Do you know if your comments are related to WGA or OGA?  That would be helpful as a start.

Thank you!

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:05 PM
  • WGA was installed without permision on my PC on 10/31/06.  Ever since, I cannot browse my hard disk without having a Windows Live ID sign-in pop-up hamper my fair and legal use of purchased software.  How can this be disabled and removed immediately?
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:21 AM
  • Use “Add/Remove Programs” in the Control Panel and remove BOTH the Live Messenger beta and the Windows Live Sign-in Assistant.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:51 AM
  • Drew,

"WGA" has two separate but complementary components:

WGA Validation Tool once installed thru Windows Updates or as part of the validation process prior to downloading nice-to-have content becomes an integral component of XP and cannot be removed.

WGA Notifications Tool is simply a "nag" reminder that at this point is not a manatory prerequisite for access to nice-to-have downloads.  MS does support removal of pilot versions of the Notification Tool:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914/en-us

Current versions of both have obvious EULAs that you have to agree to, so you did give permission.

Not sure how a Live ID sign-in factors into the situation......

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:58 AM
  • I don't have either program installed and still get the pop-up to sign into LiveID.  It only is when attempting to browse my hard disk and enter /Documents and Settings/User Folder.  Never happened before the latest updates and I cannot isolate a process or application other than explorer that activates it.  I really am confused and annoyed.  All I know to do is remove my windows partition and set it as and EXT3 disk under Mandriva 2007.  Nothing there installed covertly and buried in shaky clickwrap licenses.
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:09 AM
  • The LiveID is prompted by explorer attempting to connect online to something when I am browsing my harddisk.  If I disconnect by network, it doesn't popup, but still attempts to connect with just hard disk browsing.  I do not have any 'live' applications and definately not comfortable with online connection whenever browsing.  Has anyone else had this happen before?
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:31 AM
  • Has anyone come across the problem of the WGA Validation Tool stopping one from logging into Windows?

Since the validation tool was installed on my PC, I am only able to access it by using safe mode.  This is not acceptable when using a legit cd-key.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 2:30 PM