Poor Voice Call Quality RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious what kind of quality people are getting with voice calls (to telephones...) via OCS?  We just configured voice integration and the quality is ok, but far from great.  The calls sound a bit like a decent cell phone connection - with annoying latency (i.e. when I speak into a USB headset there is about a 1 second delay before the person on the phone hears what I said).

We are using an AudioCodes MediaPack MP-114 FXO connected to a single Mediation server on a lightly loaded network.  The MediaPack is connected to analog lines provisioned off our PBX.

When we make Communicator-to-Communicator calls the quality is excellent.  Additionally, if I plug an analog phone into the same ports the MediaPack is connected to, the qaulity is great.

Can we get better quality voice calls with this configuration??

Thanks,

jon

Thursday, February 7, 2008 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

Did moving the mediation server on to a phyiscal server help? In my own experience the mediation server couldn't handle really even a single call in when it was virtualized w/o some degredation in voice quality.

For whatever reason, voice and other resource-intensive / delay-sensitive apps perform poorly when virtualized.

I've had good success virtualizing other OCS servers roles (archiving, QoE, CWA etc), but conferencing servers and mediation servers just don't seem to do well because they actually handle voice streams.

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Hey Matt.

Moving the Mediation server to a physical machine did make a big difference.  We now get good (but not great...) voice quality.

We still get some echoing and a bit of latency.  Do you think moving the OCS Standard Ed server to a physical machine would make a difference?

jon

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:53 AM