Office 2003 OGA Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I seem to have a problem that I have been unable to resolve after a week of searching. I recently upgraded from Office XP Small Business to Office Professional 2003. I opted to perform a complete install for 2003. When I went to OGA, I couldn't pass it. However, for some odd reason OGA believes I'm trying to validate Office XP Small Business, even though Office 2003 is completely installed and functioning properly (somewhat, I'll explain later).

I opted to remove Office XP Small Business using the original install disks, however, I receive an error that the MSI patch for the disk is not correct and that the installer is not the right version. I attempted to remove Small Business through the add/remove program option in the control panel and when prompted for the install disk, I get the same issue about the MSI patch. My assumption is that this version of Small Business MSI installer is for Win ME/98 and is not recognized by the current Windows operating system installer, as this uses a different platform to add/remove programs.

I opted to try the 2003 office pack to remove all instances of Office XP. Using the removal wizard, it found the previous version of Office XP still installed. However, I was strongly warned that forcing the manual removal of these programs, may make by 2003 versions unusable. The KB article suggested that forced removal needs to occur prior to the installation of 2003, not after.

As I mentioned earlier, 2003 appears to be functioning properly and all programs are activated. However, in Outlook 2003 when new messages arrive into the inbox, the windows installer dialog box appears, but disappears when the message fully downloads into the inbox. I've read through several KB articles on this issue, but these all point to issues with the installer for windows versions ME/98.

I've gone through and completed all the "stickys" listed above and I'm still unable to pass OGA. As I mentioned earlier, I believe it has to do with Office XP and OGAs attempts to valiadate the previous version, versus the current 2003 version.

Attached below are the results from the Diagnostic Tool:

TIA for any assistance

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7J3DC-YQ4Y2-H9X4X
    Windows Product Key Hash: RVGLtaPnJYqk1FlkBxtTJ1t5Kug=
    Windows Product ID: 55285-OEM-2115577-07083
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {382784C7-03D3-4BF9-822F-7E68D35AC5A6}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office XP Small Business - 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{382784C7-03D3-4BF9-822F-7E68D35AC5A6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-H9X4X</PKey><PID>55285-OEM-2115577-07083</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1202660629-920026266-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8100               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>XP2</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011109000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4723395F0184DC7A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.18.5"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.5"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Small Business</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>987DB4D6B833AAA</Val><Hash>43/mpojcAMNWDQ5IoC/RoAGhSB4=</Hash><Pid>54188-OEM-1790182-81173</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>16C8E61AFE0D502</Val><Hash>YWH9QMKNr7jb3aV+Xqh6MYCVuiM=</Hash><Pid>73931-641-0980443-57021</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 8000:Dell Inc|8000:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Good Morning Jersey Reef,

Thank you for visiting the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program forum. Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the OGA program forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide the following:

Open My Computer located on your desktop.

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu do the following: Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

Right click data.dat file, then click Delete.

The data.dat file is for Office, Not OGA.

Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and activate it.

If product activation was successful try the Office Validation located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base (KB) articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

KB903275 - How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate an Office product

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

KB326851 -   Activation and registration of a Microsoft product

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

KB919895 - How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

KB828958 - Resources to help you activate a license in Microsoft Office programs

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/828958/en-us

Should you need further guidance please post your question(s) to the Windows XP General newsgroup forum located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=activation&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

Thank you for visiting the OGA program forum.

Stephen :-)

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:10 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Stephen,

Thank you for the long list of items to pour over ;)

However, I'm a little confused why you believe this issue is outside the scope of OGA forum. OGA is trying to validate an older version of Office XP versus the current instaled version. I'll go through the suggested KB items and see if something can come out of it.

Thanks,

JerseyReef
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:49 PM
  •  Hello JerseyReef

Activation issues are different than actual validation issues. Please visit http://www.microsoft/genuine where there is a more detailed explaination regarding the overall program :-).  Hopefully this will help provide more light on your question.  Jersey, please try this for now.

Open My Computer located on your desktop.

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu do the following: Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

Right click data.dat file, then click Delete.

The data.dat file is for Office, Not OGA.

Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and activate it.

If product activation was successful try the Office Validation located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng 

Also I noticed you are running two Office Suites.  Microsoft does not recommend running multiple versions of Office simultaneously, but it is possible to install and use more than one version on a single computer. I would recommend uninstalling the oldest version of Office. This will should also alleviate the issue you are currently experiencing :-).  Attached is a Knowledge Base (KB) article describing problems you may encounter and offers advice on preventing different versions of Office from conflicting with each other should you require both Office Suite versions.

KB290576 – How to run multiple versions of Office on one computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290576/en-us.

Take care Jersey,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Stephan,

If you read my first post again, you'll notice that I'm not trying to run two versions of Office, the Office 2002 version will not uninstall properly and Office 2003 is activated and working properly, but OGA is trying to validate Office 2002 versus Office 2003, although I see no traces of Office 2002. Which should be the case.

In my first post, I went into detail that I've tried several options to remove Office 2002, none of them succesful and what I believe the cause to be.

And yes, I tried the first recommended step and still no success. Although, I have several .DAT and .BAK files in this folder. I only deleted the one you specified and the file did return upon activation.

Thanks,

JerseyReef
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Hello JerseyReef,

My apologizes. I would like for you to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and hopefully this will solve the problem. 

The following article will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs 2003 and below (NOT OFFICE 2007 which you don't have :-) on your computer. Actually you may have to uninstall all Office Suites then reinstall your Office 2003 but first try and uninstall the older version.

See below:

KB290301 – Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Please let us know if this resolves the problem. 

Thank you again Jersey,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Stephen,

I've tried the installer cleanup utility before and didn't have any luck with it. But per your advice I tried it again. I implemented the following steps:

1. Ran the Install Cleanup Utility
    2. Unistalled Office 2003
    3. Attempted to uninstall Office XP Small Business - As I stated in my first post, I've been unable to remove this Office suite, either through the Office XP small business disk or through "add/remove" programs from the control panel. I recieve the same error message "This patch package could not be opened. Verify the patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package"
    4. Since I had Office 2003 removed, I also ran the Office Removal Wizard from the 2003 Resource Kit and requested that the Wizard fully remove all instances of older Office versions from the machine.
    5. I reinstalled Office 2003
    6. Could not pass OGA - OGA is still trying to validate Office XP Small Business

I'm open to any suggestion here. Like I said I believe the issue here is with Office XP Small Business. Causing OGA to fail because it believes that Office XP has not been activated, when Office 2003 is activated.

Something also to possibly consider, I think the reason why the MSI isn't working from the disk to remove Office XP, this disk may have been an upgrade path when I had for Win ME/98 and converted over to Windows XP

Thanks,

JerseyReef
    Friday, February 20, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Jersey,

I would recommend visiting Microsoft Help and Support @ 
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=gp;[ln];csshome and request assistance. Troubleshooting this problem may require telephone assistance vs. using the forums.  Also please visit the Microsoft Discussion Groups @ http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx and

Microsoft Office Discussion Groups located here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?d=1

You may have to completely reformat your system as well because of potential corrupt files. Take care and thank you Jersey.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    Friday, February 20, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Stephen,

I'll see what I can find with the other discussion groups, but I figured a reformat was on the hoizon for me...

Psst... My name is Mike ;-)

Thanks,

JerseyReef
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Hey Mike :-)

Thank you for posting back. Post back and let us know if you find anything. Unfortunately the horizon strongly indicates a reformat Mike :(. I was hoping to have found you a resolution and preventing the reformat. Hopefully you have everything backed up on a NAS Drive or external drive already. This would cut down on some of your time. 

Take care Mike and thank you for posting back. 

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    Friday, February 20, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Hey Mike,
    Did you ever find a solution to this??  I'm in the same boat and I've been searching for weeks.  It all started with Pub 2007 trial for me, though, and now I now have Office 2003 working, but I can't unstall Office XP or the 2007 trial.  I think the conflicting Outlooks is part of what is giving me the same problem as you had with Outlook. 

HELP HELP HELP!!!!  I'm so tired of dealing with this!

I'm thinking probably Windows XP re-install, but I'd rather not, so if you found a solution, please let me know...

Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hello Set4Life,

This MS KB article seems to address your issue:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295823
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:49 PM