Try Windows Server 2012 Essentials Release Candidate now! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, All,

As we recently announced on the Windows Server 2012 Essentials blog, the Release Candidate for Windows server 2012 Essentials is now available for download.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials has been designed as the ideal first server for Small Business and Home Offices. Although there will not be a next version of Windows Home Server (WHS), Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in WHS, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

WHS customers are encouraged to evaluate our new server offering – you will find most of your favorite WHS features, including support for add-ins, are there,  See the Home Server Blog for major improvements over WHS 2011.

Thank You!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows Server Program Manager

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:13 AM

All replies

• Thank you Ning Kuang, but I have no intentions of paying $425 to replace something that costs much less and works perfectly fine.  Plus the added complex process of removing a drive from the storage pool (see feedback item 759352) that is so much easier with WHS v1 makes a migration to Windows Server 2012 Essentials a no brainer thumbs down. 

I wish you would quit using your "smoke and mirrors" suggestion of this being a suitable replacement for WHS, it is not at the price point it will be offered.

The only real benefit I see with Windows Server 2012 Essentials is the ability to use drives greater than 2TB's.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials is a great next step form the SOHO user, but for a Home User, it is not.  Stop promoting it as such.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi, All,

As we recently announced on the Windows Server 2012 Essentials blog, the Release Candidate for Windows server 2012 Essentials is now available for download.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials has been designed as the ideal first server for Small Business and Home Offices. Although there will not be a next version of Windows Home Server (WHS), Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in WHS, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

WHS customers are encouraged to evaluate our new server offering �?? you will find most of your favorite WHS features, including support for add-ins, are there,  See the Home Server Blog for major improvements over WHS 2011.

Thank You!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows Server Program Manager

BullDawg
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:39 AM
  • Well said, BD
    Thank you Ning Kuang, but I have no intentions of paying $425 to replace something that costs much less and works perfectly fine.  Plus the added complex process of removing a drive from the storage pool (see feedback item 759352) that is so much easier with WHS v1 makes a migration to Windows Server 2012 Essentials a no brainer thumbs down. 

I wish you would quit using your "smoke and mirrors" suggestion of this being a suitable replacement for WHS, it is not at the price point it will be offered.

The only real benefit I see with Windows Server 2012 Essentials is the ability to use drives greater than 2TB's.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials is a great next step form the SOHO user, but for a Home User, it is not.  Stop promoting it as such.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi, All,

WHS customers are encouraged to evaluate our new server offering �?? you will find most of your favorite WHS features, including support for add-ins, are there,  See the Home Server Blog for major improvements over WHS 2011.

Thank You!

BullDawg

Walter Blanchard
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:13 PM
  • I think a bigger issue even than pricing is the domain controller requirement.  This will inject additional administrative complexity into the networking experience and cause havoc for users that may use work machines at home that are already joined to a corporate domain.  Any WHS user needs to understand what this implies before testing WSE 2012 in a "live" environment. (I recommend joining only virtual machines to the WSE domain at first, until you know what the implications are.)

While there are benefits to domains for businesses that have more than 10 computers, I see this as a potentially significant negative for home users with a handful of PCs.

• Edited by Gary Voth Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:32 PM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Microsoft's response (on Connect) to this issue is:

" Posted by Microsoft on 8/29/2012 at 8:17 PM

thanks Zeus182. this is a good suggestions for the client deployment. We would like to provide a workaround for customers to skip the domain joinning during the client deployment. And a KB article will also be provided. i will let you know this KB link when it is alive. thanks.
    Windows Server Solutions Team"

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:34 PM
  • I am a new user of WHS 2011, and why am I a new user of this program.  Because I just found out about it and what it can do.  One of the most crippling things I have seen that Microsoft did to this OS, was lack of intelligent marketing.  Microsoft should have used the approach and heck the slogan "Windows Home Server 2011- Servers done smart!" or "The Smart way to run a server!".   The average person hears the word server and assumes this is something for the IT pros and busnesses use.   It is simply above them. 

I think the price out of the average home user, as currently set it is above what I would be will to pay at this moment in time.  I understand that Microsoft is trying to trim down alot of is programs and is going in a new  direction.  But I don't think the average home comsumer is ready for it.  Many feel that even Windows 8 is a "Touch Table OS" that may work on a desktop.  I don't think people are going to be rushing out to get it either, most people at work that I know are trying to buy a PC before  New Window 8 hits the street.    

• Edited by AirDefense Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:24 AM