Actions taked of renamed file? in FileSyncProvider RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm writing an excutable by leverage of Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider, and I got confused with some phenomenons.

1) most renamed files will result in a single action of ChangeType.Rename, but some renamed files will result in 2 actions, ChangeType.Delete and ChangeType.Create. I can't figure out what's the difference between these files, are there any rules about involved actions?

2) Could the filesync.metadata be interpreted as readable? or deserialized by any method?

Thanks a lot,

Lennts.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:41 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Lennts -

1) We have code inside the FileSyncProvider that tried to accurately detect a rename but we cannot always determine that for sure always ( creation time on the file changed for example). When we cannot accurately determine this - we then delete the old-named file and create a new-named file. I would not worry about this and instead will let the actions flow as they are reported by the FileSyncProvider.

2) The filesync.metadata file is a store file ( SQL CE database file). The only way to deserialize it could be to open it up using ADO.net and reading all the tables and rows and desrializing into a format that you specify. What is your scenario and why do you need this?

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:58 PM
    Answerer