SyncToy 2.1.0.0 on Windows 7 x64 simply hangs RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SyncToy 2.1.0.0 on a 4GB Windows 7 x64 in Echo mode as a tool to back up to a 3TB USB 3 external hard drive.

It works fine most of the time when the folders are small. If however I do my monthly backup of my entire MyDocuments folder, the PC simply hangs. The disk light is on permanently, the mouse is no longer functional, but ALT-TAB still works, albeit VERY slowly (minutes between strike the keys and a response). Cannot activate the Task Manager (maybe I have not waited long enough (1 hour)?

It seems to work fine when I delete the file on the removable drive, but seems to fail when attempting to sync.

Do you have any ideas?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:39 AM

All replies

• I assume your using it through the main application. I only say this b/c I do the same thing but I use a task to do it hourly w/ the cmd interface. I know when I used to backup my computer using the main application it would freeze the application and maybe slow the computer, but never enough to make it unusable (I might be remembering wrong). The sync would eventually fail b/c files system files would change and then not be valid for sync.

When you delete the file it doesn't have to compare anymore so its faster. I know most of this really doesn't answer the question, although it might help to sync the entire thing more frequently so it has less to check each time.

When it fails does it give an error message or do you force close it?

I'm also on Win7 x64, SyncToy  2.1. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:42 AM