Backup Grayed Out After Running Out of Disk Space RRS feed

• Question

• I ran out of HD space and WHS would/could not backup my desktops for about 10 days.  Most of the messages indicated there was not enought room to run a backup but the most recent one indcated an error during backup.  On payday I added a new 320GB USB HD and configured it. 

When I went to the Console Backups screen both my desktops were grayed out and I had no way to run a backup.  I could view the past backups but not manually start one.  I tried resetting the backup schedule but that did not work either. 

Finally I told WHS to delete all backups.  When that was finished WHS finally began backing up again. 

Does anyone have an idea of what caused this?  And, is this an issue that should be bugged?

Walter

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 5:37 PM

All replies

•  Walter Wood wrote:

I ran out of HD space and WHS would/could not backup my desktops for about 10 days. Most of the messages indicated there was not enought room to run a backup but the most recent one indcated an error during backup. On payday I added a new 320GB USB HD and configured it.

When I went to the Console Backups screen both my desktops were grayed out and I had no way to run a backup. I could view the past backups but not manually start one. I tried resetting the backup schedule but that did not work either.

Finally I told WHS to delete all backups. When that was finished WHS finally began backing up again.

Does anyone have an idea of what caused this? And, is this an issue that should be bugged?

Walter

Did you try rebooting the clients after the server had more space? You might have just tried a manual backup cleanup before deleting the backups too but either way, it's working now.

If you run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\TalQ.exe on the clients and server you can post the CAB numbers here for the WHS team to look at. Wink

Hope that helps...

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 6:44 PM
  • >> Did you try rebooting the clients after the server had more space?

Yes, the clients were rebooted several times after I added the new HD. 

>> You might have just tried a manual backup cleanup before deleting the backups too

The server showed all clients greyed out and would not allow a manual backup.

Since I got this working again (after deleting all backups) I have had WHS twice tell me that the Backup Service was not running and the server needed to be rebooted to start it again. The first time I rebooted and things were normal again. 

When I turned on my desktop this morning it was the scheduled time for a backup.  I got a message on my desktop saying it was going to start a backup in five minutes.  I tried to check WHS to see ran the backup and found that Backup Service was not running again, even though it sent me a message saying it was going to start a backup. 

I ran TalQ on all computers right after this and before rebooting the server:

WHS  RC1 355377920

Aopen XP Pro (my desktop) 355378260

WaltsWeb XP Pro (wife's) 355384212

I also ran it on my laptop with Vista but it did not upload the file.  I have it available if you need it.

Note I have been having some problems keeping a connection to the Internet.  I am not sure if this is related to my cable modem, router or ISP.  I don't think this should stop backups since the LAN connection has conitnued to work. 

Also both my desktops are dual boot (XP/Vista).  If WHS expects to see the desktop using Vista and I have booted into XP, WHS will not recognize that computer or back it up. 

Walter

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:14 PM
  • No, I said you could have tried a "manual backup CLEAN UP," which deletes old or marked backups.

There are other threads about the backup service not running you might search those to see if they have a solution for that.

Without more info the connection problem may b hard to find, you DO have the newest drivers for that WHS machine, right?

WHS won't backup from both OSs on the dual boot. Pick an OS.

Hopefully you wont have to do a reinstall.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

I read some post from Tom (whs team), that both of your OS will be backup, but, backup will only be made from the system os, and in that case will be Vista, you can only run backup from vista tho.

Maybe I am wrong, and one of the whs team could correct me on this.

My best.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 5:22 PM