XP with SP2 Live OneCare - what's operating in backgroud during idle time RRS feed

• Question

• Does OneCare do equivalent of "scan disk" (find defects, whatever it did) during tune-up ? Beyond de-frag, what disc maintenance functions are performed  during OneCare tune-up ? Have Dell 2350 with 768RAM. Since 3/14/08, never before, noticed almost constantly running in background is MsMpEng.exe , cisvc.exe , winss.exe of OneCare at 25-30 % CPU capacity. Told via on phone with India OneCare tech support that 3 previously noted Item Names running along with process Idle is normal. Never was for me until 3/14/08. "Processing" indicator HD on cabinet face stops when mouse is moved. Is this background running a recent code change ? Is it normal that HD "green" indicator on CPU cabinet is working practically fulltime, flickering almost constantly and above processes run in background even when no apps requested, operating in Idle Process with only Table Top displayed. During daytime for home user there is alot of idle system time. Is this normal operations or just an anoyance ? I'm new to this digital era.

Burt

Friday, March 28, 2008 6:30 PM

Answers

• MSMPENG.Exe using lots of CPU and causing constant disk activity is indicative of a conflict with another program or driver on your PC. If you have any other security software installed that is "watching" in real time to protect against malware, spayware, etc., that can cause the result you see. There are other non-security programs that have caused problems with msmpeng in the past.

I recommend going back to support and requesting that the case be escalated if no other security software is identified as conflicting.

-steve

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:51 AM

All replies

• According to the Performance Plus description page, all it does is defragment the drive and not perform a "chkdsk".

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/prodinfo/performancedetails.htm

Though I run Vista, under normal conditions I don't see any high CPU usage of MsMpEng.exe except on startup and during scans (of course).  I have a sidebar gadget that shows the top five processes and normally I do not see MsMpEng.exe in that list.  I am not sure what the HD activity is about, I am used to it on Vista (Superfetch and Indexing at work).  There is a program called Process Explorer which can tell you a lot about what is going on in the background (it goes a little beyond Task Manager in giving you details), you can find it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You did get me curious about the processes WLOC uses, I have not thought about looking into it yet.  From what I can tell I have these OC processes:

MsMpEng.exe

msfwsvc.exe (firewall)

winss.exe

winssnotify.exe

(cisvc.exe is actually XP's indexing service)

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:59 PM
  • MSMPENG.Exe using lots of CPU and causing constant disk activity is indicative of a conflict with another program or driver on your PC. If you have any other security software installed that is "watching" in real time to protect against malware, spayware, etc., that can cause the result you see. There are other non-security programs that have caused problems with msmpeng in the past.

I recommend going back to support and requesting that the case be escalated if no other security software is identified as conflicting.

-steve

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:51 AM