invalid key message RRS feed

• Question

• I have two machines that aren working.  One had a hard drive issue where the primary partition was corrupted and failed.  It is an HP pavillion a6720f.  The other is an Acer ax1700-u1710A which somehow got an operating system corruption and was giving me the blue screen.  Both machines are stock, meaning that they have no new pieces in them.  There was no functioning recovery partition on either so I used an OEM disk from microsoft.  The hp is for sure a 64 bit but I am not sure about the acer.  I got an invalid product key error, upon start up even though I was using the key from the side of my computer.  I installed the systems using with out the key tried installing service pack one, tried to use the command promt to reset the licensing as outlined in these forums and still no good.  This is actually the third machine, two acers and one hp that this has happened.  HP has made me buy new disks to get it going but you know what? that is BS and I will do something about it if I don't get some resolution.  I am sure I have a legal right to have the system I paid for work correctly with out having to pay for it twice.  I have already bought one acer disk twice.  Anger aside, I called the activate by phone and they told me to contact hp which is when I had to buy new disks.  Is there a way to tell by the key which operating sytem 32 or 64 bit it goes to? Can I get some help here.  Why won't the correct OEM disk recognize a valid key? 

FYI I used the key from my laptop (32 bit) on the acer to see if it would accept it as I loaded vista 32 on the acer again not sure which the key is for and it worked but of course that is not going to be an acceptable solution. 

Friday, August 7, 2009 10:56 AM

Answers

• Hello ed ziffel,

These forums are for the support of Windows Genuine Advantage Validation issues. Your post does not appear to a be Vista Activation or Validation related and, as such is, unfortunately, off-topic (as well as outside my main area of knowledge)

I recommend reposting your question in the Install, Upgrade and Activate section of the Vista Answers Forums at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista/  or go to http://support.microsoft.com for additional support options.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Friday, August 7, 2009 6:10 PM