Added RAM RRS feed

• Question

•  

Has anyone else added ram to there windows Home server  I have a HP MediaSmart Server that came with 512mb Ram and I swapped it out with a 2gb chip and changed the virtual memory

WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!!

just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it

Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:35 AM

All replies

• What is the maximum amount of ram you can add to WHS?  I know with Vista 32 bit, it is around 3.5gb and Vista 64 can run alot more.  I also had a small amount of ram and installed the 2gb chip and make a considerable amount of difference. 

Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:50 AM
  • not sure what the max ram is on the WHS, yes vista 32 is around 3.5gb and vista 64 is 8gb

but i think for the WHS HP mediasmart 2gb is plenty for now.

when I had the 512mb chip in I had 65mb free now that i have the 2gb chip in I have 1.3gb free so WHS wasnt running at full potential

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:27 AM
  • Windows 2003, the OS underneath WHS is a 32 bit version and as such can reference a maximum of 4 gigs.  How much will actually be available will be somewhat less.  For example the "holes" used for onboard RAM on a video card are directly subtracted from that amount so, for example if you build a system with a video card with 256 megs of RAM, the available RAM will be no more than 4000 - 256 megs. 

As for the actual HP machine, my understanding is that it can take a single DIMM containing no more than 2 gigs.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Has anyone else added ram to there windows Home server  I have a HP MediaSmart Server that came with 512mb Ram and I swapped it out with a 2gb chip and changed the virtual memory

I thought that WHS was optimized to run in 512MB and that it wouldn't use any more, even if you had it.  You only needed more if you are running Add-Ons.

Of course that is what is advertized and if holding true to form, 2GB is always the sweet spot for RAM for Windows.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:25 AM
  • Don't believe it Roger, as with any Server 2003 machine the more the merrier. 

MS have done a good job of making it work on an old PC, but in reality with the likes of Dell, HP etc all doing really quite decent low-end 'proper' servers for give-away prices there really is no reason not to use one IMHO.

Like you I have 2GB ECC RAM in there.  More than it needs really, but if one DIMM fails it will still come back up with 1GB until I get a replacement.  And I'm beginning to use it for more and more background processes, web sites etc and even running heavy weight apps via RDP a million times faster than my clunky old laptop .

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:44 AM
  •  Jimbo! wrote:

And I'm beginning to use it for more and more background processes, web sites etc and even running heavy weight apps via RDP a million times faster than my clunky old laptop .

Jimbo makes a good point, WHS is just a set of services run on a Windows 2003 OS.  With sufficient memory and CPU power there is a lot of available horsepower left for doing other things.  Run on a dual core or a quad core, the machine could run very heavy duty applications in addition to the rather light duty WHS stuff.

And lest I get in trouble...

DISCLAIMER: THIS CONFIGURATION WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:41 PM