none
Photo's Share changing file size RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I copy photo's to my Photo share on the WHS, the files eventually get greyed out and change to thumbnail size. If I copy the files to any other share nothing happens to the files as expected. This is totally weird... It seems similar to the Data Corruption bug except for the fact that I only have on drive (the one the server came with - 1TB) and no folder replication is happening. This does not happen right away (always) it may take a couple of minutes to hours for this to happen. It is totally weird for me... I have created a custom share and put my photos there for now but would like to know if there is a fix for this.

I have an Acer Aspire Easystore h340 and it is fully patched. Power pack 2 is installed. it does not say that power pack 1 is installed. I tried to install it but it said that I could not install it as the version installed is newer.

Monday, August 10, 2009 4:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you saying that when you drag a file to your server's Photos share (e.g. \\server\photos) and drop it, something is then taking your full-sized photo (which could be several megabytes in size, if it's something other than a jpeg) and resizing the file to a lower resolution? Please describe exactly how you're placing files in the shares...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Yes... I drag the files to the share from my workstation to the default photo's share... The files may appear correct when they copy there at first... but then... eventually... sometimes immediately and other times at a later time (hours later) the files convert to 160 x 120 as if converted to thumbnails... When I select all the files and do a properties on them it displays the correct file size... but when I select a single file and check the properties they report as 4kb and not the original 1.4mb each... it is totally weird... when I do this for my newly created custom folder (same copy process) the files retain their size...
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:27 PM
  • It sounds to me like there's some application that's watching the default photo share and performing a resize on new files that it finds. That's nothing built in to Windows Home Server, however. What happens if you double-click one of these "resized" files? What dimensions does it open up at?

Also, do you have a home-built or OEM Windows Home Server? Did you install anything on the server? Add-ins? Software installed through remote desktop or physical console?

Monday, August 10, 2009 5:45 PM
  • This is a stock OEM install...
    I applied all the updates from Microsoft using the WHS console. it took a couple re-boots before all updates were applied.
    I installed WHIIST and WOL along with the connect troubleshooting tool from MS.

nothing installed through RDP just the above add-ins.... the problem existed before I added the addins...

When you double click the file it shows up as a thumbnail at 160 x 120. when copying the files back to my desktop they are the small size...

Cheers
    Bryan.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hi Bryan,
    the application Ken means must not run on the server, but can do also on any running client PC. I have also lots of pictures on my WHS and never experienced such behavior. Do you use a certain application to organize fotos or are you using plain Windows Explorer/Windows (Live) Foto Gallery?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:20 PM
  • We use Adobe Photo Album 2.0. This applies metadata to the photos. Curious however that the raw files work fine on a newly created shared folder as opposed to the built in photo share... seems to me that WHS is doing something and not the Adobe Application... <grin>
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:38 PM
  • We use Adobe Photo Album 2.0. This applies metadata to the photos. Curious however that the raw files work fine on a newly created shared folder as opposed to the built in photo share... seems to me that WHS is doing something and not the Adobe Application... <grin>

As Ken said, there is nothing in the MS WHS image itself that does that.  My guess is you are having some strange interaction between whatever Acer added to the original MS WHS OEM image and Photo Album.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:39 PM
  • <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Hi, I'm having the same problem; reduced photo file sizes when copied to the server. The only photo software on my computer is Canon's MP Navigator 2.2 print utility and Nero.

Devised a work around – map the folder as a drive you can then copy the files. However; this does result with both a small and original sized file (??). The small files are given a <filename>.jpg.jpg name and easily erased. Thus far the large files have not been changed for two days.

I also have the Acer H340 and I’m having other problems with their WHS software installation I think the problem may lay there. I can not activate McAfee trial software (kicks me over to a 404 error on the McAfee site) and none of the programs (McAfee or Lights Out etc.) are listed in the Add-in section as installed nor available. Worked with McAfee’s and Acer’s support for half a day without success – think I’m going to try a total reinstall - not looking forward to deleting almost 4,000 small files again. I hope that moving my music files goes better, I’ll be back if not.

Monday, August 24, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I have noticed that this only affects the default shares that are setup with the install... When I create my own folder this does not happen. It must be something on the Acer box that is doing this and not software on my workstation. It also affects videos as well. I created a folder called vids and it works fine. but when I copy videos to the Videos share they revert to a thumbnail too. The workaround for me at this point is to use my own created shares and not the default shares. Weird...
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:00 AM
  • Have you contacted Acer about your issue? The only thing I see in documentation on the Acer site that might be involved is the DLNA media player, and (honestly) I can't see why it would be doing this...
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:40 PM
  • I have posted a question with Acer. They want the serial number of the unit before moving on. I will get that tonight and if they have a resolution for me I will post it here..
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:25 PM
  • I disabled the WiDMS service in Computer Management on my WHS. This seems to have done the trick. When I copy files to the default shares on the server it does not convert them to Thumbnails anymore. This is cool... but it also means that my server is not a media streamer anymore. I found this solution at the following website... http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=109&threadid=2003218&pagenumber=1&product_id=37196&subpage=1 . It is not exactly my problem but it was close enough to give it the old college try...
    • Marked as answer by B Clark Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:37 AM
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:37 AM
  • I disabled the WiDMS service in Computer Management on my WHS. This seems to have done the trick. When I copy files to the default shares on the server it does not convert them to Thumbnails anymore. This is cool... but it also means that my server is not a media streamer anymore. I found this solution at the following website... http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=109&threadid=2003218&pagenumber=1&product_id=37196&subpage=1 . It is not exactly my problem but it was close enough to give it the old college try...
    FYI, WiDMS is not a service installed by MS.  The MS service for streaming media is WMConnectCDS.  It sounds like it's a service that Acer installed.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 5:57 AM
  • I've also seen this same weird photo thumbnail behavior on my H340, but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes they're fine and sometimes I get hidden thumbnails.
    I though I had a clue when I copied a small folder of photos over and got thumbnails. Looking at the files I was copying they were all marked "read only". I took the read only attribute off and copied the files to the H340 again and they came across fine. I then deleted the copies and went back to the originals and changed back to to read only. copied to H340. This time I got two versions of each file, a good copy and a hidden thumbnail. Interesting......
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:40 PM