SATA port is bad - possible to move drive into usb cage? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an external usb drive cage for sata drives and moved one of my internal hard drives that I have in my WHS into it.  WHS does not see it though as it is still looking for the SCSI/SATA version of the drive.

Is there a way that I can tell WHS that the drive is now using a USB port instead of the SATA port?
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,
    are you sure, that the port is bad and not the disk or both?
    If Windows Home Server is integrating a disk into it's pool, it uses the serial number of the drive for identication. Using USB enclosures is supported, but has given too much trouble (maybe depends from the variating quality and functionality of these enclosures).
    You could login to your Windows Home Server locally and try to experiment with regedit, which is unsupported, highly untested, not recommended and should really only be done, if you know, what you are doing and have a current backup of the important data stored on the WHS.
    In Registry Editor navigate to the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks
    Here you find subkeys, which represent the disks. Before you continue it is recommended, to right click that key and export the entire key, so that you can recover in case of mistake.
    If you navigate to the single disks, you find various informations here. Interesting in my eyes would be the values below Attributes.
    The problem is, I have no external disk connected to my storage pool, and I also do not want to remove a disk just to simulate, what would happen ...
    So you may need to figure out yourself, which key represents the lost disk - and if it may be enough to change the value for the key External to 1 for this disk and reboot to get it seen again by the console. (The only hint I have here, is that a QRole value of 2 represents the data drives, QRole 1 seems to be the system disk.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by Bastol Monday, December 22, 2008 1:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:14 PM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,
    are you sure, that the port is bad and not the disk or both?
    If Windows Home Server is integrating a disk into it's pool, it uses the serial number of the drive for identication. Using USB enclosures is supported, but has given too much trouble (maybe depends from the variating quality and functionality of these enclosures).
    You could login to your Windows Home Server locally and try to experiment with regedit, which is unsupported, highly untested, not recommended and should really only be done, if you know, what you are doing and have a current backup of the important data stored on the WHS.
    In Registry Editor navigate to the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks
    Here you find subkeys, which represent the disks. Before you continue it is recommended, to right click that key and export the entire key, so that you can recover in case of mistake.
    If you navigate to the single disks, you find various informations here. Interesting in my eyes would be the values below Attributes.
    The problem is, I have no external disk connected to my storage pool, and I also do not want to remove a disk just to simulate, what would happen ...
    So you may need to figure out yourself, which key represents the lost disk - and if it may be enough to change the value for the key External to 1 for this disk and reboot to get it seen again by the console. (The only hint I have here, is that a QRole value of 2 represents the data drives, QRole 1 seems to be the system disk.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by Bastol Monday, December 22, 2008 1:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:14 PM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:16 PM
  • Tim Lastoria said:

I bought an external usb drive cage for sata drives and moved one of my internal hard drives that I have in my WHS into it.  WHS does not see it though as it is still looking for the SCSI/SATA version of the drive.

Is there a way that I can tell WHS that the drive is now using a USB port instead of the SATA port?

The only supported method would be to remove the drive through the Console, then remove the drive from the system, put it inside the USB cage, then add it back to the storage pool.  FYI, some USB drives have been known to cause issues with WHS (most likely due to a power-saving feature found in some cases).  My suggestion would be to leave well enough alone. ;)
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:47 AM
  • Hello,

Try this :

Reboot your WHS
    Go to BIOS 
    (following example of AMI BIOS of my Asus P4P800E dl Mother Board)

ADVANCED
    ONBOARD DEVICES CONFIG
    ONBOARD Sata CONTROLLER (example : PROMISE)
    -> Enable (default)
    Operating Mode :
    -> RAID (default) - > Change it to "IDE"
    Reboot

->The Sata drive is seen now by WHS

Personal experience:

My WHS loose BIOS config after an long stop and an Mother board lithium battery fail
    I reboot WHS after changing  battery and setting hour / time
    Problem:
    On 6 HD, WHS was seeing only the first 4 (2 IDE and 2 SATA2)
    The last 2 SATA2 HD were on the second SATA port called "RAID" connector of the WHS Mother board

-> In BIOS, I set this second SATA connector from "RAID" to "IDE" and all is OK now on my WHS :)

Perhaps it can help you ?

Best regards,

Jean-Max
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:54 AM