Visual Studio must be installed before you can install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After a bit of search, I know this is a big struggle and source of confusion for CRM community, I just wanted to know of there is any progress or update as of Oct 2014.

The "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Software Development Kit" [http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40321] states the following versions of visual studio as the minimum requirement for the SDK toolkit:

"Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, or Microsoft Visual Studio 2013"

However I get the error in the subject when I try to install:

Visual Studio must be installed before you can install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit.

Is there any progress in regards to this big source of confusion?

Also, many online forums or blogs refer to the following link suggesting a workaround:

http://www.hashtagcrm.com/?p=79

The link is not valid anymore, even the url cache services don't have any record.

can somebody copy/paste the content of the workaround here as a response?

Thank you,

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• hi Amx,

toolkit just contains some templates that helps you connect to CRM from visual studio. And do other things like develop plugin and deploy to CRM.

current toolkit is built to be used on visual studio 2012. Do you have vs installed on the machine?. Is vs2013 the issue?

regards

Jithesh

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:13 AM
  • Hi Jithesh,

I had to downgrade (uninstall the VS2013 and Install VS 2012) in order to be able to use CRM 2013 SDK developer toolkit.

I prefer working with VS2013, and that is why I am posting the question. The SDK download page indicates VS2013 as one of the prerequisite options. However I get the error that I explained in my post when I try to install the developer tools on VS2013. Is there any updated or tested workaround?

Thank  you,

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Not using the developer tools is a workaround.  You can still use the SDK without them and with VS2013. But yes, it is annoying that the toolkit doesn't install for 2013, when it works just fine with VS2013.

As I recall, the workaround was to extract the installer package and change the version check to VS2012 or greater and that did it.  Sadly, I don't remember where those steps were done, offhand.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Guido PreiteMVP Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:24 PM
    • Edited by Guido PreiteMVP Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by amx2012 Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:24 PM
  • The instructions from Simon really worked!!! It took me almost 1hr to go through precisely but at the end ai have the CRM SDK working on VS 2013!!!

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/tsgrdcrmblog/archive/2014/08/23/microsoft-dynamics-crm-2013-toolkit-with-visual-studio-2013.aspx

Goog luck for you as well!

Gabriel Nesmerak - MS Dynamics CRM Sr. Consultant

• Edited by GabrielN Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:02 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:00 PM