Event viewer error "Remote Notification" RRS feed

• Question

• Just got WHS up and configured the way I want it after a few days work. I have 5PC's and store all backups on 4 SATA's + 1 IDE drive. The IDE is not part of the DE system.  Anyway I was just sitting back enjoying things when I rebooted and took a look at the Event Views.  In the Application section I get the four following errors:-

In all cases the Source is "Remote Notification".

Got Error: qsm.f70bdc9c-d57e-4517-a35e-558d1c17ab6e.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head: Storage Status Desc:Volume with name Secondary Volume 2 has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk WDC WD7500AACS-00D6B0.

Got Error: qsm.625555cb-e1d2-4128-9a1e-ed7ddcd29068.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head: Storage Status Desc:Volume with name Secondary Volume 3 has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk WDC WD7500AACS-00D6B0.

Got Error: qsm.50ecc16c-5e71-47e6-af65-c2cb1ba7b931.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head: Storage Status Desc:Volume with name DE Secondary Volume has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST3500641AS.

Got Error: qsm.2919984e-e195-4a1d-a99b-240610cf7779.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head: Storage Status Desc:Volume with name SYS has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk WDC WD7500AACS-00D6B0.

Now it's unlikely all 4 drives have failures at once.  Anybody have any idea what these errors mean and what should I do about them.  Should I run CHKDSK. Should I remove and later re-mount the drives?  All four of them one at a time???  I have no other errors in the Security, System, Home Server or Internet sections of the Event Viewer. 

Even more unsetteling the WHS Console has all drives as healthy. Can I trust it?

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:57 AM

Answers

• I agree that it seems unlikely that all 4 of your SATA drives are failing simultaneously. It's much more likely to be your motherboard, if it's a hardware failure. But first, is your motherboard configured to use AHCI or RAID mode for your SATA drives, or are they in legacy PATA mode? (Legacy mode is preferable.) If they're in RAID or AHCI mode, likely you had to supply drivers to bet WHS to see the drives and install. It's possible that the drivers you used aren't very stable.

Running CHKDSK on each drive won't hurt.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:44 PM