installing OEM version RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm installing the OEM version (I'm a system builder). Can I just install it over my evaluation copy (and save my backups)

Or should I do a clean install.  And how can I save my backups, settings, etc.

Friday, July 4, 2008 1:15 PM

Answers

•  CzAx wrote:
    I'm installing the OEM version (I'm a system builder). Can I just install it over my evaluation copy (and save my backups)

You can replace the eval with the OEM by performing a Server Reinstallation.  Just boot from the OEM DVD and select Server Reinstallation from the drop down menu.  (If it's not there, do not proceed as a New Installation will wipe all of your hard drives during install.)  Reinstallation wipes only the OS partition but leaves everything else (network shares and backups) alone.  Once it's complete, you will need to re-create your user acccounts and re-install any add-ins.

Friday, July 4, 2008 1:52 PM
  • When you install the OEM version, it will allow you to do a server reinstallation, keeping your data and installing the OS after it wipes the 20 gig partition. Essentially, you get a completely fresh OS while keeping your data intact.

Cruise
  • You should be able to do a "server reinstallation", which is a special installation mode which will preserve your shares, and usually your backups. You will not be able to preserve your settings, users, add-ins, added software, etc.

The prerequisite for server reinstallation being presented as an option is that all of the secondary drives in your storage pool be visible to setup during the initial graphical portion, which means that you need to supply storage drivers if required. You can perform a server reinstallation onto the same system drive; in that case you should be able to preserve your backups. If you replace your system drive and even a single component of the backup database is actually stored on the system drive (instead of being on a secondary drive with a tombstone on the system drive) you would lose your backup database.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 1:56 PM

All replies

•  CzAx wrote:

You can replace the eval with the OEM by performing a Server Reinstallation.  Just boot from the OEM DVD and select Server Reinstallation from the drop down menu.  (If it's not there, do not proceed as a New Installation will wipe all of your hard drives during install.)  Reinstallation wipes only the OS partition but leaves everything else (network shares and backups) alone.  Once it's complete, you will need to re-create your user acccounts and re-install any add-ins.

• When you install the OEM version, it will allow you to do a server reinstallation, keeping your data and installing the OS after it wipes the 20 gig partition. Essentially, you get a completely fresh OS while keeping your data intact.

Cruise
  • You should be able to do a "server reinstallation", which is a special installation mode which will preserve your shares, and usually your backups. You will not be able to preserve your settings, users, add-ins, added software, etc.

The prerequisite for server reinstallation being presented as an option is that all of the secondary drives in your storage pool be visible to setup during the initial graphical portion, which means that you need to supply storage drivers if required. You can perform a server reinstallation onto the same system drive; in that case you should be able to preserve your backups. If you replace your system drive and even a single component of the backup database is actually stored on the system drive (instead of being on a secondary drive with a tombstone on the system drive) you would lose your backup database.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 1:56 PM