A few questions to get me started RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      Just got my new home server today and I'm a little confused about what exactly this thing is.  I want to use it to backup all the computers on our network automatically, which I know is the main function of these things.  What I want to know is, what kind of backup is the home server doing?  Is this an image based backup which will completely restore a computer to the way it was in case of hard drive failure?  Or is it just a file backup which would require me to reinstall the operating system and applications manually?  Also, are the backups incremental, or does it do a complete backup each time? 

Thanks,
    Monday, September 7, 2009 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,
      Just got my new home server today and I'm a little confused about what exactly this thing is.  I want to use it to backup all the computers on our network automatically, which I know is the main function of these things.  What I want to know is, what kind of backup is the home server doing?  Is this an image based backup which will completely restore a computer to the way it was in case of hard drive failure?

Yes.  You boot your client from the Restore CD and restore from your most recent backup of that client (called a Bare Metal Restore).

Or is it just a file backup which would require me to reinstall the operating system and applications manually?

You can do that as well if you want.  You would restore individual files through the Console (called a Single File Restore).

Also, are the backups incremental, or does it do a complete backup each time? 

Thanks,
    Every backup is a full backup as far as the end user is concerned.  (It actually uses a SIS-like way of backing up clusters, but when you look at a backup, it still shows as a full backup.)  For more details, you should check the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, September 7, 2009 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by arrbez Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:27 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:00 PM