Who is manufactuing a device with WHS installed RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not really a hobbiest who wants to build a machine.  And a month ago I thought I needed a NAS device with some kind of Raid.  But the WHS seems much easier for a guty like me to deal with in the long run.  I just want to buy one and buy one that comes with 2 drives and space for two more and 10/100/1000 T ethernet. 

I don't want to nor do I think I am able to figure out what case and fan are quiet enough and what CPU and memory are good enough.  And the difference between SATA and whatever came before is over my head. I just want to but one and I think it should come in at less than $500 with the software installed.  

NAS devices with Raid seem to start at $650 and up and with a single drive at $200 and up.  This should come in chaeper that Raid (or am I missing something. 

The only pre installed system right now seems to be one from the UK  but it  has a wall mount and no  room for a second drive.  (sort defeats the purpose doesn't it?)
    http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/T7-HSA.html

And one other thing, if manufactures and PC retailers do start making complete systems in a box, how will I search/browse for them.  Under external drives? Servers? PCs, PC accessories? 
    Friday, October 12, 2007 9:23 PM

Answers

• From the Microsoft Windows Home Server FAQ:

Who is building hardware for Windows Home Server?

Later this year, a variety of manufacturers, including Fujitsu-Siemens, Gateway, HP, Iomega, LaCie, Medion and others will be offering products powered by Windows Home Server, providing a complete hardware and software solution.

Prices were briefly available for the HP MediaSmart Server; IIRC, a server with 2x 500 GB drives was around $779.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 10:13 PM

All replies

• From the Microsoft Windows Home Server FAQ:

Who is building hardware for Windows Home Server?

Later this year, a variety of manufacturers, including Fujitsu-Siemens, Gateway, HP, Iomega, LaCie, Medion and others will be offering products powered by Windows Home Server, providing a complete hardware and software solution.

Prices were briefly available for the HP MediaSmart Server; IIRC, a server with 2x 500 GB drives was around $779.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 10:13 PM
  • Hi

As a starting point, you can take a look at http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/whs-hardware/

I'm keeping track (or at least, trying to!) of all WHS system releases over at We Got Served.

Cheers

Terry

Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Oh, and from what I gather, Lacie, Iomega and Gateway won't be releasing WHS hardware until early '08. The HP MediaSmart will be '07 in the US, '08 elsewhere. Still waiting for Medion and Fujitsu-Siemens to announce availability...

Terry

Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:58 AM