Cloned WHS, now I have weird hybrid drive setup RRS feed

• Question

•  After reading through some threads here now, I can see I should not have tried this, but here's what I did, and where I'm at.  I'd appreciate any assistance.

I wanted to move to a larger drive for my primary WHS drive.  I used Ghost and cloned it.  (I knew it might not work but assumed I could just revert back and use my original drive if needed.)  I guess I made the error of letting WHS boot with both drives in place because now the only way WHS will run properly is with both drives installed.  It's confusing because WHS seemingly only sees the original drive (by description) but shows the files space of the newer, larger drive.

For full disclosure, here was the sequence of events...
    - The system had two drives, a 500G ( primary) and a 1T (active secondary data).
    - I "removed" the 1T drive and WHS sucessfully put all of the data on the 500G drive.
    - I did the clone from the 500G drive to the 1T drive with a floppy boot disk.
    - It re-booted with both drives and seemed to work (but I did not look real closely at the storage config).
    - I shutdown and disconnected the 500G drive, and restarted the 1T drive on the 500G's port.  However it would not let me login, and started shutting down instead (and I think rebooting).
    - I shutdown and put just the 500G drive back on the original port.  It booted and allowed me to login, but the backup service would not run and seemingly none of the existing backup data was present.
    - If I hook both of the drives back up (as was done during the clone and the first re-boot) it works, abet with the confusing description and file space combination.

I'm unsure what my next move should be.  I'm somewhat convinced it's booting on the SYS partion on the 500G disk, but looking at the data on the 1T disk (but I'm not really sure).

At this point I'd gladly just go back to having the 500G drive working by itself, but it seems to need the 1T drive in place.  I do not want to lose all of my existing backups.

Any guidance to offer? 

Thanks.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

By far your best and safest bet would be to install the drive you want to use, then booting from the WHS DVD, perform a 're-install'. This will only format the C: partition and install the operating system again, and, if you have any data stored, will rebuild all the pointers etc to your data. Note that this last step can take quite some time if you have a large amount of data, so do not interupt it until you see the Welcome screen.

WHS keeps an internal record of drives - that's why you cannot clone drives very well. Some people have had success, while others have had complete failure.

Your only option regarding backups, is to see if you can use the Add-In that's available, to copy off your backups to another drive, redo the install, then using the same Add-In, copy the backups back to the server. This should work, but there are no guarantees, as WHS backups are only regarded as a disaster recovery medium, so the usual recommendation is to just run the backups from all the Clients once your system is up and running. However, I've used the method above successfully when changing installs of WHS.

Good Luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

By far your best and safest bet would be to install the drive you want to use, then booting from the WHS DVD, perform a 're-install'. This will only format the C: partition and install the operating system again, and, if you have any data stored, will rebuild all the pointers etc to your data. Note that this last step can take quite some time if you have a large amount of data, so do not interupt it until you see the Welcome screen.

WHS keeps an internal record of drives - that's why you cannot clone drives very well. Some people have had success, while others have had complete failure.

Your only option regarding backups, is to see if you can use the Add-In that's available, to copy off your backups to another drive, redo the install, then using the same Add-In, copy the backups back to the server. This should work, but there are no guarantees, as WHS backups are only regarded as a disaster recovery medium, so the usual recommendation is to just run the backups from all the Clients once your system is up and running. However, I've used the method above successfully when changing installs of WHS.

Good Luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Hi Colin,

Thank you for the reply.  I think I understand.  I have no data to save.  At this point I'm using WHS strictly as a backup device, so that's my recovery focus.  I want to save all of the increment backups, if possible, so I will try the add-in.  (I'm still stumped as to how the 500G drive went bad, since I did not actively change anything on it.  But it is what it is.)

I will report back.  I think I may make the backup copy, and then experiment a bit, before doing the re-install and backup recovery. 

Glen

Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:34 AM
  • A followup for everyone...

I saved all of my backups, so I knew I could recover those with a re-install.  Then I decided to experiment a bit (figuring I had nothing to loose).   I found some helpful info here

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/d322ea2a-e056-45c6-ac20-e4d170ceadb8/

- I booted with just the original 500G drive connected (which was not seeing the DATA partition, although it was there) 
    - I opened up the drive management tool and added the DATA drive back in as D:
    - I found an old registry (I may have gotten lucky here) with the correct storage description for the 500G drive
    - I deleted the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server in my registry
    - I executed the old registry to put the correct drive info back in.

It worked, except when I rebooted it warned me that the Storage tab dll was blocked.  I searched the registry for that exact string and found a key where it said it was blocking it.  I renamed the key, rebooted and all seems to be running fine now.

So I was able to recover without reinstalling WHS. 

Glen

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Glen,

Glad your up and running and the info is good to see.

Good luck,

Colin

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:00 PM