Home server website suddently stops working.....???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I was enjoying my WHS and its functionality. However, about 2 days ago I installed Gallery Server Pro via Microsoft platform installer. Since that time my WHS website has become inaccessible. I have read on the forums and done everything suggested other than re-installing the software.

The steps done so far as follows:

• Did a hard reset on the router (WRT300N) and manually forwarded 80,443,4125 to the server static ip.
    • Reset the WHS website.

I cannnot access the website even on my LAN. When checked by sheilds up! it still shows 443 and 4125 still show up as closed. I do not know if that means that the router is not forwarding properly or is it a issue at the level of the server. Also, of note is that I can access the gallery server pro and subsonic pages from the internet. Both are hosted from the server.

This has been a very frustrating 2 days. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:57 PM

Answers

• Figured it out. You hit the nail on the head. Gallery pro was sharing the port with the default website so IIS had stopped the default website. Changed the ports around a little bit and everything is working. Thanks for all your help.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi all,

I was enjoying my WHS and its functionality. However, about 2 days ago I installed Gallery Server Pro via Microsoft platform installer. Since that time my WHS website has become inaccessible. I have read on the forums and done everything suggested other than re-installing the software.

The steps done so far as follows:

• Did a hard reset on the router (WRT300N) and manually forwarded 80,443,4125 to the server static ip.
    • Reset the WHS website.

I cannnot access the website even on my LAN. When checked by sheilds up! it still shows 443 and 4125 still show up as closed. I do not know if that means that the router is not forwarding properly or is it a issue at the level of the server. Also, of note is that I can access the gallery server pro and subsonic pages from the internet. Both are hosted from the server.

This has been a very frustrating 2 days. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

You shouldn't install any applications on your server (since it's unsupported).  Having said that, have you tried completely disabling the firewall on the server and see if it works then?
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:23 PM
  • I have tried putting the server on DMZ on the router and switching windows firewall to off. Still no success.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I have tried putting the server on DMZ on the router and switching windows firewall to off. Still no success.
    Have you tried uninstalling Gallery Server Pro (since that is apparently what caused the problem in the first place)?  Also, I assume port 80 shows up as open (you didn't say that, but just checking)?  Are you sure you have port 443 forwarded to the correct IP address?
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:43 PM
  • I have tried uninstalling gallery pro. Does not solve the problem. Yes, port 80 is open. Infact port 8080 is also open for subsonic music streamer. Only port 443 and 4125 are a problem.

When the windows platform installed gallery server pro, it also installed sql and IIS 6.0. Maybe that has messed it up somehow.

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:07 PM
  • I have tried uninstalling gallery pro. Does not solve the problem. Yes, port 80 is open. Infact port 8080 is also open for subsonic music streamer. Only port 443 and 4125 are a problem.

When the windows platform installed gallery server pro, it also installed sql and IIS 6.0. Maybe that has messed it up somehow.

Actually, IIS 6.0 is part of WHS (at least it is on mine and I haven't installed anything other than add-ins).

The supported method to fix is Server Reinstallation.  Having said that, you might try checking the Properties of the Default Web Site in IIS and see if the SSL port is set to 443.

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Would you be kind enough to tell me where to find that?

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Figured it out. You hit the nail on the head. Gallery pro was sharing the port with the default website so IIS had stopped the default website. Changed the ports around a little bit and everything is working. Thanks for all your help.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 10:09 PM