Data Import into CRM 4.0 - Adding notes RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to import my data from Goldmine into CRM 4.0. 

I can map the basic stuff like, name, address, client details etc. but is it possible to map the history and note records into CRM 4.0 ?

I accidentally changed the field in Customers, accounts, city to 'address1:city', how do i change it back ?

Thanks 

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:58 PM

Answers

• Create a separate csv file for Notes that contain four fields Regarding, Title, Description, Is Document.  The Is Document field should be set to Yes for all rows of data.  Use the Account Guid of the Active Account for the Regarding field.  You can obtain the Account Guid by doing a select statement in SQL or exporting your active accounts to Excel from within the application and selecting Dynamic Worksheet as the export option.  Unhide all fields in Excel after you Export and you will see the Account guids.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by the second question, but if you placed city data in a field that you do not want the city data, then you can run an Import update to the Account records and put the city data in the field you want.  Just create a csv file with the Account guid and the city field.

Friday, November 28, 2008 4:29 PM

All replies

• Create a separate csv file for Notes that contain four fields Regarding, Title, Description, Is Document.  The Is Document field should be set to Yes for all rows of data.  Use the Account Guid of the Active Account for the Regarding field.  You can obtain the Account Guid by doing a select statement in SQL or exporting your active accounts to Excel from within the application and selecting Dynamic Worksheet as the export option.  Unhide all fields in Excel after you Export and you will see the Account guids.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by the second question, but if you placed city data in a field that you do not want the city data, then you can run an Import update to the Account records and put the city data in the field you want.  Just create a csv file with the Account guid and the city field.

Friday, November 28, 2008 4:29 PM
  • I wrote a sql query to extract the history records and saved to excel, then to csv format. 

How do i create a one to many relationship for import.

Each account / customer record has many history records.

I dont understand your previous post, i'm no Excel expert!

Thanks

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:12 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure what information you have in your file right now, but I will assume that you have a text field that you want to save as a Note in CRM.  Here is what you do.

Run the following Select statement on the CRM db.

select name, accountid from filteredaccount (nolock) where statecodename = 'active'

This will give you the Account names and accountid for all your active accounts in CRM and you will use the accountid to create a one to many relationship as you reference "sort of".  Using the name of the Account in CRM, you will asssociate your historical information to the Account Name's, AccountID.  Basically you will have a file with many Accountid's where most accountid's will have multiple rows of data to accommodate the 'many' history records

Setup your csv file that you will use to import based on my previous post, add four fields:  Regarding, Title, Description, Is Document.  The Is Document field should be set to Yes for all rows of data.  Let's use the following as an example.

Let's say I have two Accounts in CRM for which I want to create notes (historical information).  Account 1 and Account 2.  The Accountid for Account 1 is 111-222-333-444 and the Accountid for Account 2 is 222-333-444-555.  I have 5 history records for the accounts. Account 1 has History 1, History 2 and History 3.  Account 2 has History 4 and History 5.  Based on the above, your Excel file will look like this

Regarding, Title, Description, Is Document

111-222-333-444, Imported Today's Date, History 1, Yes

111-222-333-444, Imported Today's Date, History 2, Yes

111-222-333-444, Imported Today's Date, History 3, Yes

222-333-444-555, Imported Today's Date, History 4, Yes

222-333-444-555, Imported Today's Date, History 5, Yes

If you want to create something other than a Note, then that will require using different fields depending on what type of entity you would like to create such as an e-mail, task, phone call, etc.  However, the process will be the same.

• Proposed as answer by Bianary Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:26 AM
  • I was hoping that you could help me... I know it's been a looong time since your data migration but I am having some trouble getting started..... how did you manage to map the Contacts1 table with Contact2 and how does your CRM look like.... every time I import data to CRM I have many of the same company names because of the multiple contacts...  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure what information you have in your file right now, but I will assume that you have a text field that you want to save as a Note in CRM.  Here is what you do.

Run the following Select statement on the CRM db.

select name, accountid from filteredaccount (nolock) where statecodename = 'active'

This will give you the Account names and accountid for all your active accounts in CRM and you will use the accountid to create a one to many relationship as you reference "sort of".  Using the name of the Account in CRM, you will asssociate your historical information to the Account Name's, AccountID.  Basically you will have a file with many Accountid's where most accountid's will have multiple rows of data to accommodate the 'many' history records

Setup your csv file that you will use to import based on my previous post, add four fields:  Regarding, Title, Description, Is Document.  The Is Document field should be set to Yes for all rows of data.  Let's use the following as an example.

Let's say I have two Accounts in CRM for which I want to create notes (historical information).  Account 1 and Account 2.  The Accountid for Account 1 is 111-222-333-444 and the Accountid for Account 2 is 222-333-444-555.  I have 5 history records for the accounts. Account 1 has History 1, History 2 and History 3.  Account 2 has History 4 and History 5.  Based on the above, your Excel file will look like this

111-222-333-444, Imported Today's Date, History 1, Yes

111-222-333-444, Imported Today's Date, History 2, Yes

111-222-333-444, Imported Today's Date, History 3, Yes

222-333-444-555, Imported Today's Date, History 4, Yes

222-333-444-555, Imported Today's Date, History 5, Yes

If you want to create something other than a Note, then that will require using different fields depending on what type of entity you would like to create such as an e-mail, task, phone call, etc.  However, the process will be the same.

Hello,

I am currently in the process of trying to export our data from Goldmine 5 into CRM 4.

I have done some test exporting from our Goldmine database into a CSV file and have successfully been able to import that data into CRM 4 except for the Goldmine Account notes.
    Goldmine is assigning a unique account number for each record in the CSV file and I was able to import that into CRM and map it to the "Account Number" field under each account.  An example of one account currently in CRM 4 is:
    Account Name - All Children's Hospital
    Account Number - A8122247284)MR;F^Kim

After reading through these posts, I tried the following:

"A8122247284)MR;F^Kim", "Notes test 1", "Note 1", Yes
    "A9012747452%NP^O^Mr.", "Notes test 2", "Note 2", Yes
    "A8122247284)MR;F^Kim", "Notes test 3", "Note 3", Yes

As far as I understand the "Regarding" field should map the note to the matching account based off of that unique string.
    I receive an error saying the lookup reference could not be resolved.  
    I am using the basic Import Data under the tools menu within CRM 4 as I had issues getting Data Migration Manager to load.  It would keep telling me that mandatory updates have not been installed and I was unable to resolve that issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Friday, August 6, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi I am in a similar situation. However if I try the receipe above, the notes do import but they are not associated with any account and nothing shows up in the "Regarding" section when you open the note (from the import report) So they are somewhere in lalal land!!! How can this be corrected?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Hi

I've read somewhere that you cann't import notes through the Import Wizard. You can download the Data Migration Wizard for the same.  Shall keep you updated asap.

Friday, July 22, 2011 9:36 AM