Running out of space on C: (Sys) drive - DE and Share folders on C??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS that I built on a Dell Precision T3500 with 3.3TB of total storage across two 1.5TB HDDs and one 320GB HDD. The C (sys) drive got allocated 20GB as it always does. The remainder of the capacity was allocated to the D (data) drive. I just recently noticed that I was running out of disk space on the C drive and started to find out why. I am not exactly sure but I found a FS folder with two subfolders "5" and "6". They seemed to have a hidden folder "DE" (assuming that is driver extender) and this folder is where all the files are. It appears to me that all of my shared folders and backups are getting put on the C (sys) drive rather than the data drive and now I am down to 70mb left on the drive. So my questiors are:

1. Is this correct that it is putting the shared folders and backups on C and how can I change that to D where it belongs?
    2. How can I recover the space on C without wiping the system and reinstalling the OS?

I don't remember being asked where to place anything (shared folders, backups, etc) during the WHS install so I am pretty surprised that it is doing this by default. Also I am surprised that after searching this forum and the knowledge base that I can't find anything on this.

I would appreciate any help I can get.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:19 PM

All replies

• If you installed any programs not add-ins on C:, you should uninstall them and install on D: instead. DE is not the problem, I would guess. Look also at logs etc.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Yes, that was the first thing I checked. I have only installed add-ins on that system. Plus, it would be hard to chew up that much space with programs. I will look at the logs, how do I do that, via the console?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Logs:
    • IIS logs are in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC2 .
    • Other Windows Home Server logs are in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs .
    • Other add-ins' logs will be located per add-in, so consult your documentation.
    If your C: partition is filling up because of the Windows Home Server logs, you might want to take a look at those logs to see what's up.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I have a WHS that I built on a Dell Precision T3500 with 3.3TB of total storage across two 1.5TB HDDs and one 320GB HDD. The C (sys) drive got allocated 20GB as it always does. The remainder of the capacity was allocated to the D (data) drive. I just recently noticed that I was running out of disk space on the C drive and started to find out why. I am not exactly sure but I found a FS folder with two subfolders "5" and "6". They seemed to have a hidden folder "DE" (assuming that is driver extender) and this folder is where all the files are. It appears to me that all of my shared folders and backups are getting put on the C (sys) drive rather than the data drive and now I am down to 70mb left on the drive. So my questiors are:

1. Is this correct that it is putting the shared folders and backups on C and how can I change that to D where it belongs?
    2. How can I recover the space on C without wiping the system and reinstalling the OS?

I don't remember being asked where to place anything (shared folders, backups, etc) during the WHS install so I am pretty surprised that it is doing this by default. Also I am surprised that after searching this forum and the knowledge base that I can't find anything on this.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

To clarify: none of your data is being stored on your C partition (despite the fact it looks like it is).  C:\fs contains mount points to the secondary drives, so your data is where it belongs.  As the others said, you should check your log files.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:17 PM