WHS Free domain question RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running a WHS 1.0 box with a free domain name, aka myserver.homeserver.com.  I'm about to finish building my new WHS 2011 box, and I'd like it to use the same domain name, as my family and friends all have it bookmarked already.

Does anyone know, if I change the domain name (or turn off remote access) on my current 1.0 server, if I would be able to register and reuse the same name on the new server?  Obviously, they couldn't share the name, which is fine...my old server won't be online anymore.  I'm also wondering if I changed my current 1.0 server to be myserver2.homeserver.com, how would I go about freeing up the myserver.homeserver.com to be used with the 2011 box?

Basically, in summary, I'd like to find the best way to use the same domain name that is currently in use with my 1.0 box, for my new 2011 box.  The old server will be taken offline and not used anymore.  Is this possible?

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:43 PM

All replies

• You can reuse your existing name, you just need to sign in with the same Live account you used when setting up your v1 server. It looks like 2011 has the same problems setting it up and getting it to work properly as v1 had (I had to manually change my router's settings, and now that it's working it still thinks it's not, just like v1). This is progress?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:23 AM