Sync between SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have to sync between SQL Server 2008 (Server) and SQL Server 2005 (client). And want to use the ChangeTracking feature of SQL Server 2008 for tracking changes and for SQL 2005 the chages will be tracked by database objects created by SqlSyncScopeProvisioning.

So is it possible to sync between two servers those uses the different change tracking methods?

I think it is possible, but want to make sure.

-Ajinath

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:29 AM

Answers

• it is possible but may require building custom providers.

i suggest you go with the collaboration providers and simply let Sync Fx provision the tracking tables on both server and client.

while offline providers support SQL Change tracking, there is no SQL Client sync provider available out of the box other than a sample SQLExpressClientSync provider.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:35 PM

All replies

• afaik, this is not supported out of the box.

SQL Change tracking is supported via the offline providers, on the other hand tracking tables are supported in the collaboration providers.

not only they differ in change tracking (determining what has changed), but they also differ in keeping track of what was sent/received with the offline providers using anchor-based approach while the collaboration provider uses knowledge-based tracking.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Hi JuneT, Thanks for the reply.

So it is not possible to sync between two Sql databases where one uses 'SQL Change tracking'(SQL Server 2008) another uses 'tracking tables'(SQL Server 2005). Am I right?

In my scenario I need to syncronize between SQL Server 2008 (Server database) and SQL Server 2005 (clinet databases). So do you mean I need to use the 'Tracking Tables' at each node (at server database and all client databases)?

Or is there any alternative/solution?

Note : Each of the sync nodes (Server & clients) are using WCF to communicate with each other.

Please help. Thanks in advance

-Ajinath

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:18 PM
  • it is possible but may require building custom providers.

i suggest you go with the collaboration providers and simply let Sync Fx provision the tracking tables on both server and client.

while offline providers support SQL Change tracking, there is no SQL Client sync provider available out of the box other than a sample SQLExpressClientSync provider.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Thanks JuneT.

I am following the the example provided - ' https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=3762 which uses the collaboration provider and Sync Fx to provision the tracking tables on both server and clinet.'

Thanks again for your valuable guidance.

-Ajinath

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:51 PM