Important information about posts is missing RRS feed

Answers

• Our release will be next week.

Forums Program Manager

• Proposed as answer by Papy Normand Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Laughlin Friday, September 13, 2013 12:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:03 PM

All replies

• I understand that we are to keep suggestions limited to a single suggestion per question, but I believe these three items are all necessary information to show to all forum users, not just moderators.

+1. I agree on this.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

• Proposed as answer by Al Dunbar Monday, June 24, 2013 4:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Monday, June 24, 2013 5:00 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 4:34 AM
  • yes, bring this back. This helps to see if a MSFT CSG marked nonsense as answer or a different user.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:36 AM
  • MSFT CSG marked nonsense as answer

:-)))

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And - of course - my coke bottle sports car

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:54 AM
  • yes, bring this back. This helps to see if a MSFT CSG marked nonsense as answer or a different user.

Exactly my thought. I generally trust an answer that was quickly marked as such by the OP, but I take answers that were marked by a moderator (CSG or not) at a later date with a grain of salt.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 5:22 PM
  • +1

This information is very important.

Thanks

Patrick

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:34 PM
  • I agree that these two pieces of metadata are important:

• Who proposed a post as an answer
    • Who marked a post as an answer

Bill

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:45 PM
  • I don't see the need to show every edit made to a post, although the most recent edit could be listed.

I do agree that we should see who proposed an Answer and who marked an Answer.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Agreed. Imperative to see who proposed and marked answers.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Am alternative would be to prevent anyone but the OP from marking a thread as answered.  Having someone else decide what answers a question is not helpful.  My favourites are when a moderator marks two posts as being the 'answer' and the responses are contradictory.

If the OP doesn't mark any response as the answer then 'so what'?

<<edited - reason for edit -> an embarrassing misspelling of to/two (just thought I would add the reason for the edit here so that the reason is visible to a wider audience :-) >>

<<edit 2 - changed 'her' to 'here'>>

Paul Linton

• Edited by PaulLinton Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:45 AM Read the post
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:08 AM
  • IMO, having "asker" mark the reply as answer and having moderators mark the reply as answer has different meaning for those who is looking for answer.

Afterall, for most troubleshooting cases, the moderators do not have the setup to reproduce the exact problem, therefore can only mark answers by whether they seems to be making sense or not.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Am alternative would be to prevent anyone but the OP from marking a thread as answered.  Having someone else decide what answers a question is not helpful.  My favourites are when a moderator marks two posts as being the 'answer' and the responses are contradictory.

If the OP doesn't mark any response as the answer then 'so what'?

I don't mind the moderators marking answers, since I've been a part of many threads where a question is answered, and the OP specifically says that the issue is fixed, but does not actually mark an answer.

Still though, I generally trust answers that are marked by the OP while I take any answer that is marked by a moderator (CSG or not) with a grain of salt.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Completely agree. In terms of the OP and knowing they've marked a reply as the answer (even if they didn't bother to write a reply), it was nice to know previously when it was the OP who'd marked it, since you then knew you'd definitely helped them, rather than it just being someone else who (hopefully) knew that your answer was correct.

Personally as an extension of that I'd like to know on what basis (when it's not the OP marking it) a reply has been marked as an answer, but that's getting off track of this thread so I've started a separate one for it http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/99ad63a8-d103-4985-812a-d31842eae70b/require-and-include-a-reason-when-nonop-marking-an-answer

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:50 PM
  • I prefer to have the evidence available for review. Lends itself to transparency.

Chris Ward

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Congratulations Andre,

You just got 25 points for stating your opinion here. (5 Votes).

I like this Forum!!!

Chris Ward

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 8:29 PM
  • There are a couple of other things why we need this!

1. detect cheating

I know a guy who has 3 or 4 Technet Accounts! He is a cheating and tricksing!
    The first Accont Answer a question and the other account are suggesting as answer and voting Up.

2. to be social and a community we make freindship over this

yes, bring this back. This helps to see if a MSFT CSG marked nonsense as answer or a different user.

Please click “Mark as Answer” if my post answers your question and click “Vote As Helpful” if my Post helps you.
    Bitte markiere hilfreiche Beiträge von mir als “Als Hilfreich bewerten” und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als “Als Antwort markieren”.
    My PowerShell Blog http://www.admin-source.info
    [string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('755964655967-86965747271757624-8796158066061').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '
    German ? Come to German PowerShell Forum!

• Edited by Peter Kriegel Monday, July 8, 2013 4:57 PM fgfdgfgfgfg
    Monday, July 8, 2013 4:52 PM
  • I don't care if it explicitly states the user that marked the post as answer or not, but I'd like it to show if it was the asker or moderator that marked the post.

Monday, July 8, 2013 6:55 PM
  • I don't care if it explicitly states the user that marked the post as answer or not, but I'd like it to show if it was the asker or moderator that marked the post.

Good idea!

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, July 8, 2013 7:04 PM
  • I'd rather see which moderator marked it as an answer, rather than just see that a mod marked it.

I still think the simplest resolution to this would be to show us normal people the same information we saw before (and is still shown to moderators).

Don't retire TechNet!

Monday, July 8, 2013 7:12 PM
  • All information that was available before should be available now.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, July 8, 2013 7:30 PM
  • All information that was available before should be available now.
    I've yet to see any information shown on posts about who/when marked/proposed. Is this recent? Does it also include information about edits, thread type changes, and thread moves?

Don't retire TechNet!

Monday, July 8, 2013 7:36 PM
  • May be my should was used incorrectly here. I meant that we need to see all the information that was available before, not that it visible. It is only visible to moderators of the forum now.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:34 PM
  • May be my should was used incorrectly here. I meant that we need to see all the information that was available before, not that it visible. It is only visible to moderators of the forum now.

Gotcha, I was hoping that there was some hotfix being put into place that I didn't know about.

Oh well, back to waiting.

Don't retire TechNet!

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:36 PM
  • I think we should see the names of the people that mark answers and proposed answers, not just that it was a moderator or not.

For reference, I kept track of all of my activity for 6 months ending about a year ago. I found that of the answers I got credit for, 37% were "confirmed by the asker". This means 63% were marked by a moderator (not myself). I'm sure that varies by forum, but if only the op could mark answsers, there would be a lot fewer answers (and points).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:43 PM
  • I will circle back with the rest of the Forums team on this.  I'm not aware of any intentional change in the visibility of the information you're asking about (proposed by, answered by, etc.).
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:43 AM
  • You even weren't aware of the NNTP bridge being shut down prior to us complaining about...

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:14 PM
  • I don't know if this has been mentioned already.

When editting your own post, you can put commentary. I think it would be also helpful to show that commentary for others because I can not see it.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

Need any links for images like CodeBlock? Go here.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Right, but only the latest edit. Right now moderators can see 10 edits and we don't need it.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:36 PM
  • There are two bugs at play here. 1) Authenticated users should be able to see this information 2) Users should not be able to see duplicated edits as Naomi mentioned.

Both of these bugs are being addressed.

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:43 PM
  • There are two bugs at play here. 1) Authenticated users should be able to see this information 2) Users should not be able to see duplicated edits as Naomi mentioned.

Both of these bugs are being addressed.

Forums Program Manager

That's great, thank you. Is this part of the release scheduled for today?

Don't retire TechNet!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Unfortunately this did not make the cut for this release but we are prioritizing it high for the next release and you should be able to see it then. Sorry that this is still an inconvenience :(  

Forums Program Manager

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:08 PM
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.

Don't retire TechNet!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:21 PM
  • So, today is September 2nd, any ideas when this information will be returned?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:12 AM
  • when this information will be returned?

I would say newer, to hide that CSGs only mark their own (nonsense) replies answers.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:43 AM
  • when this information will be returned?

I would say newer, to hide that CSGs only mark their own (nonsense) replies answers.

I think you mean "never".

I hope you are not right.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Both of these bugs will be resolved in our next release.

Forums Program Manager

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:38 PM
  • When will the next release be?

Thanks! Josh

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:54 PM

Forums Program Manager

• Proposed as answer by Papy Normand Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Laughlin Friday, September 13, 2013 12:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:03 PM

Forums Program Manager

That's great, thanks for the update Bryant.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 10,750+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:07 PM
  • Hello Bryant ,

A good piece of news.

But it is deceiving to see that it is only 3 months after the original post that we are receiving this information : a too long time to retrieve these useful information which were provided before. It would be more clever to reply that the proposals were being studied as soon as they were provided by the original poster. I am considering that this loss of time as an absence of respect towards the users of the forums. It is not good for the MDN/TechNet forums

It  seems that we are facing an enormous problem : the persons who are deciding about the management  and display of the forums seem working in another world.

A last proposal : why not to try surveys about the forums to know what the forums users are hoping as changes ? It is the way used by some project/product managers inside Microsoft ( SQL Server , SQL Server Procotols  at least for my favorite topics ) , that's working , the users are glad and they understand that the project/product are respecting them. Maybe , it is a new way of behavior from the Microsoft staff who is thinking that they may dictate their wills to the users ( don't forget the results for Windows Me or Vista or Windows 8 which is not starting in sales ).

I am considering myself only as a tiny moderator , trying to help the users on the forums. I have some rules maybe stupid :

- I am trying to get information from the original poster to make easier the solution of the problem

- I have never proposed one of my own posts as  answer

- I have never marked one of my own posts as answer

- I have never voted as helpful for one of my own posts

- before proposing a post another as answer , I am testing it or checking it in the documentation or blog

- idem before marking a post as the answer

- I am moving a thread only if I am sure that it will be answered more quickly and fully in the new forum

These rules are using time and work but I am thinking that it is useful for the forums.

I hate moderators who are writing that the OP ( original poster ) has not created the thread in the good forum ( even if they give the link towards the "good" forum ) , especially when they mark their own post as answer , according to me , they have stolen the 10 points reward ( I am wandering whether they do that to avoid to do the move or to get these points and it could explain why they have so many points ... ). Maybe unpleasant or abusive but I am wandering whether it is possible to declare a such post as abusive , I have found nothing in the behavior rules for the users/moderators in the wiki pages.  

I am sorry for the people that I could have hurt , but I am deceived.

Anyway , for everybody , have a nice day.

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Thanks, after the latest release I can confirm that I can now see all of the information that was mentioned up in the first post.

The fact that we can now see all of the edit reasons during the time that they were mandatory is pretty great, because I imagine we'll be seeing plenty of four letter words show up.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 11,760+ strong and growing)

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:04 AM
  • finally some important information are back :)

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:37 AM
  • +1, I agree :))
    Monday, August 24, 2015 7:55 AM
  • +1, I agree :))

With what?

All items from this thread were fixed years ago.

EDIT: Actually, EDIT5 in my OP is still an issue. I'd still like to see that fixed, as it's sometimes hard to determine where these random threads are coming from.

Monday, August 24, 2015 11:42 AM
  • All his replies are on old posts. You've got to think whether there are some problem in the sorting order of his view.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:03 AM