Hard Drive Failure after adding third drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom built rig, which I built 2 years ago.  I have a primary drive (WD 400GB) and 2 storage drive (WD 640GB).  I purchased a third WD 640GB drive about a year ago to increase the capacity of the server.  When I initially added the drive to the storage pool, everything worked fine for the first couple days, then the system started to go haywire.  It would lock up and freeze repeatedly.  I was finally able to get into the system to find the newly added drive had failed.

After several months of this, and several RMA's later, I have found its not the drives causing the problem.  It seems everytime I add a third drive to the storage pool, within a couple days it fails.  I have tried different SATA ports on the motherboard, even moving the drives that did work to other ports and plugging the third drive into one of the ports the working drive used.

At this point, I'm not really sure how to proceed.  I need to increase the capacity of the system, and would like to be able to expand past the 2 storage drives I have, but I am not sure how to resolve this issue.

Any suggestions on what may be causing it?

System specs are:

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD4000AAKS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
    Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2SB 500W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:10 PM

All replies

• Install (Acronis Drive Monitor) this on the WHS to get more information about the drive(s)  issues:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/drive-monitor/support.html

(it's free btw:-) ).

"Mason_721" wrote in message news:7777266b-a7ad-47f1-abbd-c621dbf33d62@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have a custom built rig, which I built 2 years ago. I have a primary drive (WD 400GB) and 2 storage drive (WD 640GB). I purchased a third WD 640GB drive about a year ago to increase the capacity of the server. When I initially added the drive to the storage pool, everything worked fine for the first couple days, then the system started to go haywire. It would lock up and freeze repeatedly. I was finally able to get into the system to find the newly added drive had failed.

After several months of this, and several RMA's later, I have found its not the drives causing the problem. It seems everytime I add a third drive to the storage pool, within a couple days it fails. I have tried different SATA ports on the motherboard, even moving the drives that did work to other ports and plugging the third drive into one of the ports the working drive used.

At this point, I'm not really sure how to proceed. I need to increase the capacity of the system, and would like to be able to expand past the 2 storage drives I have, but I am not sure how to resolve this issue.

Any suggestions on what may be causing it?

System specs are:

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD4000AAKS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
    Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2SB 500W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:43 PM
  • The acronis tool Leen recommends isn't a bad idea, but it's probably far from sufficient by itself to let you track down your issue.

When you have several "failed" disks, I'm generally suspicious of one of two things. First, if you bought all of the disks at the same time, they may all be part of the same manufacturing batch, and subject to some issue that occured in that batch that slipped through the factory's QC. That's not your situation, I think; it sounds like you've had several disks over a significant period of time, acquired at different times, all go bad.

Second, you may have an external source of drive failures: a voltage issue, a failing drive controller, etc. In your case, I would be interested in the results of installing a third drive but leaving it outside the storage pool. See if it fails quickly (test it every day or so with chkdsk /r, and by copying a large volume of files to the disk); if it does it's strongly suggestive of a problem with some other hardware component.

There's a third possibility, which is a compatibility issue between your hardware (I would guess at a BIOS issue) and the OS which is causing premature drive failure. Can you try a BIOS update?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:12 PM
  • If the HD has S.M.A.R.T. , the Acronis tool can nicely tell you if one (or more) of the indicators has problems. It also can give temperature information.
    Adding a third.... maybe it's having problems then with the airflow just then and temperature goes up and up and up....till it locks.

Thinking of it.. this kind of tools should have been in the WHS dashboard & connector by default from the beginning.

"Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message news:056f7289-bb24-4839-b089-dc3ea0e9e9c9@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

The acronis tool Leen recommends isn't a bad idea, but it's probably far from sufficient by itself to let you track down your issue.

When you have several "failed" disks, I'm generally suspicious of one of two things. First, if you bought all of the disks at the same time, they may all be part of the same manufacturing batch, and subject to some issue that occured in that batch that slipped through the factory's QC. That's not your situation, I think; it sounds like you've had several disks over a significant period of time, acquired at different times, all go bad.

Second, you may have an external source of drive failures: a voltage issue, a failing drive controller, etc. In your case, I would be interested in the results of installing a third drive but leaving it outside the storage pool. See if it fails quickly (test it every day or so with chkdsk /r, and by copying a large volume of files to the disk); if it does it's strongly suggestive of a problem with some other hardware component.

There's a third possibility, which is a compatibility issue between your hardware (I would guess at a BIOS issue) and the OS which is causing premature drive failure. Can you try a BIOS update?

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:27 PM
  • I've left it outside the storage pool for a while....as soon as it "Add" it to the storage pool, it fails within a couple days.  I have the S.M.A.R.T add-in installed on the WHS, and it never has showed any predicted failure.  Like I said, if its outside the storage pool, i dont 'have any issues.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:50 PM
  • if its outside the storage pool, i dont 'have any issues.

If it's there, there is little chance it will give problems anyway I think.
    Temperature C/F is?

"Mason_721" wrote in message news:ba8e0b5a-581f-4e91-9afc-7fbaa45e3eb5@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I've left it outside the storage pool for a while....as soon as it "Add" it to the storage pool, it fails within a couple days. I have the S.M.A.R.T add-in installed on the WHS, and it never has showed any predicted failure. Like I said, if its outside the storage pool, i dont 'have any issues.

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:00 PM
  • If the HD has S.M.A.R.T. , the Acronis tool can nicely tell you if one (or more) of the indicators has problems. It also can give temperature information. Adding a third.... maybe it's having problems then with the airflow just then and temperature goes up and up and up....till it locks.

S.M.A.R.T. can tell you "something bad happened". It can't generally tell you why. In this case, "why" is very interesting; multiple drive failures of this sort suggest something external/environmental, while SMART reports on electromechanical issues on the drive. Unfortunately, the only environmental factoer S.M.A.R.T. reports on is temperature (which I really don't think is going to be the issue).

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Temperature is not an issue.  I have a 120mm fan placed directly in front of the hard drives.  Temperatures on the drives never get above 102F
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:11 PM