fetchXML reports for 2013 online CRM - what can i use to build those reports RRS feed

• Question

• I want to build custom reports for online 2013 CRM but I am so confused what I need to have installed. I keep getting different answers and struggling to get it to work

I have installed:

1) SQL 2012 Express Edition w/ Advanced Services - which was told then I can use SQL Serve Data Tools to build reports

(is this correct? because I keep hearing I can't event use this for CRM 2013 online)

2) I then was told to install CRM Report Authoring Extension 2013 - but now I get an error?????

“Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Analyzar+CollectAction failed. Fatal error during installation.

Any help would be much appreciated, I am just so frustrated because I just want to build those fetchXML reports and MS has a million options with no clear support.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

as posted in your related thread in Dynamics CRM Community, I can confirm that the following results in successful setup of a CRM report authoring environment using a windows 8 client machine:

1. Install the SQL Data Tools from the SQL Express (Advanced Services) download:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29062  (in this test I used SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe)

2. Launch the SQL Data Tools and choose the ‘Business Intelligence’ option for the default environment.  Now exit the SQL Data Tools.

3. Install the CRM 2013 Report Authoring Extensions (with SQL Server Data Tools Support) : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40343
    a. This may require a restart after installation

4. Launch the SQL Data Tools. Create a new ‘Report Server’ project and confirmed that the Data Source type of ‘Microsoft Dynamics CRM Fetch’ is available.

5. Create a basic report to make sure you can connect to your CRM Online organisation.

I have not tested on a Windows 7 OS but in theory the steps should be the same.

If you continue to encounter fatal errors when installing the Report Authoring Extensions then we would ask you to log a free CRM Online support incident to troubleshoot this further as it could be there are some issues with your machine specifically that we would need to investigate.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thank you for using Dynamics CRM Communities.

Nina Peneva

CRM Support Engineer

• Marked as answer by Donyc Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Donyc,

Here's a complete guide on how to create reports, although the Visual Studio version is 2008 and CRM version is 2011 in the guide. Also, regarding the error that you're getting, please could you try the resolution mention in this KB Article. Do you have Domain Administrator rights on the system you're trying to install report authoring extensions in?

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

• Proposed as answer by Ali Mohsin_ Friday, March 21, 2014 6:18 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

Requirements:

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) installed
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 BIDS Fetch Extension installed
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Online account

Use given below link.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2010/10/26/how-to-creating-custom-report-with-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-bids-fetch-extension.aspx?Redirected=true

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Hi Donyc,

in addition to the useful information, you have been provided in this thread, please review my last posts in the related thread in Dynamics CRM Community.  

We look forward to hearing from you and understanding the current state of your request and if this helps you.

Thank you for using Microsoft Forums.

Nina Peneva

Support Engineer  

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:21 PM
  • Hi Nina,

I am still not sure, can I not use SQL Serve Data Tools to build reports and then download Authoring Extension 2013?

Thanks

Dan

Monday, March 24, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Hi Dan,

as posted in your related thread in Dynamics CRM Community, I can confirm that the following results in successful setup of a CRM report authoring environment using a windows 8 client machine:

1. Install the SQL Data Tools from the SQL Express (Advanced Services) download:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29062  (in this test I used SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe)

2. Launch the SQL Data Tools and choose the ‘Business Intelligence’ option for the default environment.  Now exit the SQL Data Tools.

3. Install the CRM 2013 Report Authoring Extensions (with SQL Server Data Tools Support) : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40343
    a. This may require a restart after installation

4. Launch the SQL Data Tools. Create a new ‘Report Server’ project and confirmed that the Data Source type of ‘Microsoft Dynamics CRM Fetch’ is available.

5. Create a basic report to make sure you can connect to your CRM Online organisation.

I have not tested on a Windows 7 OS but in theory the steps should be the same.

If you continue to encounter fatal errors when installing the Report Authoring Extensions then we would ask you to log a free CRM Online support incident to troubleshoot this further as it could be there are some issues with your machine specifically that we would need to investigate.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thank you for using Dynamics CRM Communities.

Nina Peneva

CRM Support Engineer

• Marked as answer by Donyc Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:58 PM
  • thanks Nina, I got it all to work. MS support team figured out the issue. They had to clean the registry for me to install Authoring Extensiona
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:59 PM