File conflicts on share and loss of long file names from XP to WHS UNC copy RRS feed

• Question

• When I copy files from one of my Windows XP systems across the network via UNC name to a WHS share, I often see file conflicts referring to 8.3 file names, and an examination of the files shows the long file names have been lost in the copy.  What's the point of a backup if the file names are not retained?

How do I resolve this?  I saving many GB of files, so it is unreasonable to ask me to rename files, especially when none of them are all that long (most LFNs are 15-20 characters long, not nearly approaching any limits - some are maybe 9 or 10 characters long - WHS simply insists on stripping the LFN).
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:05 PM

Answers

• I just answered my own question. It appears these files in question are nested too deeply into sub-folders, so the full path to the files is exceeding the maximum length. This is still a bit of a pain, but at least now I have a handle on the issue.
    • Marked as answer by JakeH3 Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:18 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:17 PM

All replies

• I just answered my own question. It appears these files in question are nested too deeply into sub-folders, so the full path to the files is exceeding the maximum length. This is still a bit of a pain, but at least now I have a handle on the issue.
    • Marked as answer by JakeH3 Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:18 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Hi,
    which is the version number of your Windows Home Server shown in the console? I think some issues related to deep folders have been fixed with an update in the past, so I wonder, if your server is patched up to date.
    The limitation is in Windows Explorer and a certain system DLL file which I cannot remember - which can be cirumvented with drive letters mapped to a deeper folder in the share, but this is only recommendable for revocering/removing such files.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:08 PM