Can i break down a single PC to multiple jobs that go to specified folders on different hard disks on my WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a desktop which has a 50GB C drive and 3 self contained storage disks of 2TB each. On my old setup my Backup server (which has 4 drives of 2TB each) ran Windows 2003 with Veritas Symantec BackupExec. Instead of a single job for my desktop, I had multiple jobs which backed up the data on from different directories on the desktop, to specified drives on the Backup Server and this worked very well. I bought Windows Homes Server 2011 as I thought I could continue to have the seamless backup system of before, with the added advantage of remote access to my server from work using a Microsoft passport. I installed WHS, and it allowed me to set up a job for my desktop, and it also let me exclude certain directories. However, I really need far more flexibility considering the volume and diversity of my data. I want to have about 5 jobs for my desktops which backup different things on different locations, but when I tried to set up a secondary job for my desktop, it appeared to replace the first. I want to take a system backup of the C drive only, and then several other modular backups of the storage drives. Is it not possible to set this up on WHS 2011?

Secondly, I was trying to set up remote access last night. I got my router to give the server a reserved address and configured port forwarding to the WHS for ports 80, 443, and 4125. However, when I run the wizard the verification fails. I used an app to test port forwarding and it told me that although 4125 was fine, but that 80 and 443 were in use. I had internet explorer open (including to an ssl protected Microsoft site), so I closed that, and I also ran nestat and it didn’t list 443 or port 80 at all. Can anyone advise what might be happening here? I do have Teamviewer installed on the server, but I killed the process and disabled the process, so don’t think it is that.

Any help gratefully received.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:36 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is designed to back up the entire client computer at once, so no, you can't have multiple backup "jobs" for a single client computer. I would suggest moving the bulk of that data to the server. You will have a different backup headache, as server backup only allows one automatic backup task as well, and is limited to 2 TB, but most likely the bulk of that data is static and doesn't actually need to be part of a nightly client backup.

Regarding your remote access web site, what application did you use to test, and exactly what did it report? I generally recommend Shields Up!.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Just some input from my experiences.  Depending on your internet provider, they will block port 80.  Cox cable did it to me and required a business account in order to access through port 80.  My recommendation is check with your provider.  It took a lot of searching and calling to finally get to the bottom of my port 80 woes.  Good luck.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:31 PM
  • As Ken says, a Client is backed up at once but you could use something like SyncToy or SyncBack to back up Client data to your server if you do not want to do what Ken suggests and move your data to the server.

Note that you certainly do not need Port 4125 for WHS2011 and Port 80 is only optional if you want http:// access. You can just use Port 443 and access via https:// although you may well be told in the Dashboard that your router is not working even though you can access your site normally.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:09 PM