Activation of newly purchased Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had windows Live OneCare purchased just about a year ago.  Imstead of renewing my sibscription on-line I decided to purchase a new one which had both XP and Vista compatibality.  I unistalled the old version before installing the new one.  After everything done, I never saw the activation menu and the old red message keeps coming up warning me of the expired subscription.  This message should not have come up as I removed the old OneCare!!!

This is very frustrating and I could not get any help live (via telephone) or menu drived help function.  Should I go back to Norton or other Antivirus software.  Perhaps I will not buy the Windows OneCare again.  I wasted lot of time and about to give up and go back to Norton.  So far Windows support has been minimal to nil.

I will appreciate any help from other successful users.

Ujjal

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:19 AM

Answers

•  

You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• Open One Care, select Subscribe, follow the prompts and when you get to "method of payment" select "Pre-paid PIN or Token". Enter the 25 digit product key included with your purchased CD.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:46 AM
  •  

You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I saw the menus as suggested.  I was confused about the renewal prompt as it did not make sense to me when I was dealing with a purchased product.  Perhaps you should correct your menu options. 

I was able to activate by reinstalling the OneCare again and following the procedure found the help menu, which initially did not make sense to me due to presence of renewal prompt.

I wonder why you don't provide live support to handle confusing situations like this one?

Thanks again, 

Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:44 AM
  •  umondal wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I saw the menus as suggested.  I was confused about the renewal prompt as it did not make sense to me when I was dealing with a purchased product.  Perhaps you should correct your menu options. 

I was able to activate by reinstalling the OneCare again and following the procedure found the help menu, which initially did not make sense to me due to presence of renewal prompt.

I wonder why you don't provide live support to handle confusing situations like this one?

Thanks again, 

The OneCare team is aware of the pain for activation and renewal. They are working to improve the experience, so thanks for the feedback.

You do have access to live support, depending on the hour of the day and your location. However, that's another pain point in that accessing support can be difficult since it requires account validation to obtain the phone number or live chat options for your locale.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:09 PM