Validation problem RRS feed

• Question

• The product key that appears is NOT the product key that I am using. I have tried for weeks to fix this.

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-Q4FPG-JXHQR-BGJVM
    Windows Product Key Hash: 755XmpBfklyio/KB1lqeYnxJj54=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-9687363-23239
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: VJ5LCR8
    ID: 4f55350e-78b2-4c41-9507-0ddcffbcf3dd
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>4f55350e-78b2-4c41-9507-0ddcffbcf3dd</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BGJVM</PKey><PID>55274-645-9687363-23239</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-507921405-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite A25</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>Version 1.10</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030519000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>CB803407018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91170409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>589AA4814F08DEE</Val><Hash>HC46ABs4x2Gr9dbKeyKlIl8qN8M=</Hash><Pid>72079-759-3875793-55399</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{913A0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>A76B4FBDE12C5F4</Val><Hash>qJLCHJLdYiiN57xyKMJ1Zg07HaQ=</Hash><Pid>72076-762-4897331-55894</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{91510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>336285C0E174DF4</Val><Hash>GdzDTEY/GlSxZ6+X8WMP0ExPS0g=</Hash><Pid>72085-762-4881601-55246</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>621704B43E795DC</Val><Hash>J07QXnI9+Li+NwGYI17rUAZ621c=</Hash><Pid>70145-750-4573754-57119</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:58 PM

Answers

• Banjo:

The software you have should be a retail copy. We do NOT distribute volume licenses. I would recommend contacting your purchase point as well.

You can use the Product Key Update Tool (link at the top) to change your product key over.

I would, however, recommend a clean reinstall of the items, as there may be corrupted system files that were initated to accept the blocked VLK in the beginning.

-phil liu

Friday, June 23, 2006 5:50 PM

All replies

• Banjo27:

The key that is on your system now is a blocked VLK.  If this key does not match the key on your COA then you can try changing it to the one on your COA with our product key update tool found here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

I hope this helps,

Greg

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:05 PM
  • Tried that.No help. It says that validation failed.

I know that my copy is valid. Unless Microsoft is pirating their own software. It was purchased from the MS store.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:11 PM
  • Banjo27:

Have you taken this computer into a repair shop where they may have had to do a repair installation?  If this is the case that would explain the reason for your system having a blocked VLK installed on it now. 

When you said you purchased your copy of Windows XP from the MS store, when did you do this and what version of Windows XP did you purchase?

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:19 PM
  • No. Windows XP Professional was purchased in January of this year. I installed it myself. I did not take it to anyone. Everything worked fine. I did not have any problems with it until recently. It was downloading all of the updates just fine. I guess one of the updates decided that it was a pirated copy and now I am all jacked up. 

I don't think that MS should put something out there like this until after all of the bugs are worked out. I understand their reasons for doing it but I should not have to suffer for doing things legally.

Brandon

Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:53 AM
  • Banjo27,

Right now, your Toshiba computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 6), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 1).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In this case we would expect it to read "Toshiba."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:23 PM
  • I do have a COA label.

The COA is for Windows XP Home Edition.

It has Toshiba on it.

The product  key matches neither the product key in the diagnostics or the product key that is actually installed on the computer.

I have Windows XP Pro on it now.

Thanks,

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:05 PM
  • Banjo:

In order to use your COA for XP Home, unfortunately, you have to do a clean reinstall of XP Home (as theres no way currently to change from Pro to Home easily).

-phil liu

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:32 PM
  • I don't want to use my COA for Home. That is the reason that I went out and bought Pro.I want to validate the current OS XP Pro. It is valid and authentic but Microsoft will not recognize it.

I have tried to change the registered product key to the current one but it will not let me.

Thanks

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:44 PM
  • Banjo27,

We know three things for sure:

1.  The copy of XP Home that came with the Toshiba is a properly licensed copy and will run fine and validate properly if you decide to put it back onto the Toshiba.

2.  The diagnostic report is showing that the copy of XP Pro now installed is nongenuine.

3.  The diagnostic report is showing that your installed copy of Office is genuine.

IMO, here are your options:

1.  Go back to XP Home.  Backup/offload your personal data (docs, pix, email, financial info, passwords, music, etc) and then use the Recovery/Reinstallation method supplied by Toshiba to put the original and valid XP Home back onto the computer.  Reinstall all programs and data.

2.  Stay with XP Pro.  If you decide to do this, there are several methods...

(a)  Purchase a genuine copy of XP Pro retail from a reputable major retailer or trusted online source and use it to "legalize" the installed bogus copy of XP Pro.  You can do this by doing a clean installation after backing up your data, or by a repair reinstallation, or by using the keyupdater utility that MS has developed:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

(b)  Take your computer to a local computer store that is a Registered or Certified MS Partner and have them use the "legalization" procedure to sell and install a genuine copy of XP Pro.

(c)  Participate in the Genuine Windows Offer (GWO):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question6Label  Be aware that to take the GWO, you had to have purchased the bogus copy of XP before May 1, 2005.  (From what you posted it would seem you purchased your bogus copy of XP after that date.)  If you meet the date cutoff and your materials are deemed by MS to be "high quality counterfeits," then you may received the complimentary GWO.  Please follow this link to see examples of high-quality counterfeit materials:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

3.  Do nothing.  Your computer will continue to function  properly and if you have Automatic Updates enabled, you will continue to receive updates, but only those considered critical security-related updates.  You will not be able to get nice-to-have downloads or nonsecurity updates from MS.

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:47 PM
  • If you will notice earlier posts---I bought this copy of XP Pro from the Microsoft company store. How is Microsoft going to sell me a pirated copy of Windows and then try to make me pay more money to validate it? When I originally registered this copy it worked fine. Now it does not. Everyone is assuming that I am trying to get a pirated copy validated but that is not the case. My copy is genuine. The product key that your diagnostics is picking up is not my product key.
    Friday, June 23, 2006 3:55 PM
  • Banjo27,

Please tell us exactly where you bought the copy of XP in question.  If online, post a URL.

And exactly what physical materials did you receive?

Just trying to get the full facts to sort out the problem.

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:59 PM
  • A Microsoft employee purchased it for me at the company store in Washington State. I received XP pro, Office 2003, Frontpage, Visio, Project. With all boxes, books, instructions. Not copies but original material.
    Friday, June 23, 2006 4:05 PM
  • Banjo27,

If you have it handy, insert the XP Pro CD purchased at the MS store, navigate to the i386 folder, look for and open setupp.ini, and post the second line.  These are not sensitive numbers or personally identifiable numbers.

If that CD was used to install XP, then the numbers in the second line will be the same numbers as the first two groups of your Product ID that shows in the System Properties General tab page.

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:13 PM
  • I do not have it handy right now. It is at home and I am at the office. I will post it when I get home tonight.
    Friday, June 23, 2006 4:16 PM
  • Banjo27,

OK.

This is a sample what you are looking for:

Pid]
    ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
    Pid=55274270

The PID value in the setupp.ini file on the CD will be the first eight characters of the Product ID once it is installed on the computer.

So if the PID reported in both the diagnostic report you posted and in the System Properties General tab are the same, and the first eight characters don't match what is on the CD, then there is only one conclusion to come to---that after you installed the XP from the MS store, another installation of XP was done, and this is the one that is being flagged as bogus.  That's actually good news because we would then know that the MS system is not calling your purchased XP nongenuine.

For the XP Pro that was purchased at the MS Store, please describe the packaging.

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:32 PM
  • Banjo:

The software you have should be a retail copy. We do NOT distribute volume licenses. I would recommend contacting your purchase point as well.

You can use the Product Key Update Tool (link at the top) to change your product key over.

I would, however, recommend a clean reinstall of the items, as there may be corrupted system files that were initated to accept the blocked VLK in the beginning.

-phil liu

Friday, June 23, 2006 5:50 PM
  • Dear Greg or Dave or anyone

My computer had some hardware problem and so we gave it to a shop to fix it.

It did get fixed but since then I couldnt get any updates from microsft and my validation kept on failing. My guess is that the store I gave it to fix the computer installed a pirated XP and so that might be the reason that its not working. Is there any way to fix this, 'cuz before fixing the computer I was able to pass genuine validation. Please do help.

Thanks

Emad

Friday, June 23, 2006 6:04 PM
  • If you have a valid Product Key that was purchased from the MS Company store you need to try the PK Update tool located here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

If this fails it will normally be due to files it cannot confirm or replace. Please review the Dialog at the end of the Update to see which files may be failing. When running the tool you need to insert the PK of the valid COA. Please try this and let us know of any error's or problems you encounter.

Thanks

dave

• Proposed as answer by Simprit Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:48 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2006 6:18 PM