Sych files between different source and destination folder sturctures RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering to use Sync Framework to do background file migration from Server 1 to 2. Physical location of two servers may vary from being withing same LAN to across internet. However, one added twist is that my target folder structure is significantly different from source. I can provide a mapping table to map source and target paths but I am not sure how/where to hook this information into synch process. Since it's migration, it will be one way synch. Any ideas or guideline will be highly appreciated.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:23 AM

All replies

• am not sure what you mean by "across internet", but if you're referring to doing file syncs over http or ftp, the out-of-the-box provider doesnt support it.

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:57 AM
  • That a good piece of additional info., however my main quest remains around ability to sync files where source and target folder structures are different.  I have a feeling that it may require writing a custom provider but I am new to sync framework and might be missing something.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 3:42 AM
  • yes, by default it will not work. the source folder structure will be applied on the target.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 4:14 AM