none
Welcome to the SyncToy Forum RRS feed

• General discussion

• Welcome to the official SyncToy forum. 

SyncToy is a free tool which helps you copy, move, rename, and delete files between folders and computers quickly.

Core to SyncToy is the Microsoft Sync Framework which uses Sync Services for File Systems to efficiently synchronize files between computers and even to external devices such as USB thumb drives.

This forum focuses on discussions relating to SyncToy including questions, issues and feedback.

For more information or to download SyncToy please visit the SyncToy 2.0 Beta Download Center.

Liam

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• Liam,

Does this product operate in the same fashion as Microsoft's aquired FolderShare product?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes, there are some very close similarities between the two products.  I have to admit that I have very little experience with FolderShare, but I will point out what I understand from a comparitive standpoint. 

FolderShare and SyncToy are similar in that they do allow you to keep folders in sync over various devices and desktops, the main difference is in the way they do it.

With FolderShare everything is very much based around the internet.  When you first setup FolderShare you will create an account which is stored on the internet and your configuration is done from a browser.  You also need to ensure that you have FolderShare installed on all the machines you want to sync with.  This has advantages as it makes it simple to share files between frients and family members, etc or wherever you need to sync files with over the internet.

With SyncToy, you only need to install SyncToy on the one machine and as long as you can map a drive (or a USB thumb drive) to your machine you can sync with it and you don't need to have SyncToy installed on that other machine.  Unlike FolderShare you do not have an account or any association to the internet.  And for right now you can not share files over the internet either.  The key benefit is that it would be very quick and efficient to share files over a corporate network.  You also have the potential to share files to operating systems where there is no SyncToy client available, but you can map the drive.

I can't say I know much about how FolderShare handles conflicts and resolving file changes such as file renamings, deletions, etc, but that has always been a strong point of SyncToy.

So ultimately they have somewhat different purposes.  FolderShare is really great for using the internet to share files and SyncToy is really good for sharing files over a network.

I hope that helps.

Liam

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Right On, that's exactly the product I want.  I can syn my laptop to my Buffalo NAS for fast recovery and use Mozy online service for off site backup.  Thank you!

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:59 AM
  • Liam,

I believe that you nailed it down pretty well. 

I have used FolderShare for a while and wanted to know whether I needed to migrate to the SyncToy product.

I use FolderShare to sync files between my office and my home. As you stated, FolderShare is internet-centric, making your product more suitable for my office LAN.  The idea of an install on a mappable device, minimizing multiple software loads, is especially appealing.

Thanks for the info, I'm giving it a go,  Mike

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You are correct, however, if you were to want to consider using a USB thumb drive as the transfer mechanism for moving information between your home and office computers, SyncToy would be a great fit because we would keep the required metadata on the USB thumb drive and then can simply transfer the changes as appropriate, but if you want to transfer over the internet this is not something currently available in SyncToy (unless you were able to get a folder mapping directly between the two machines).

Hope that helps.

Liam

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Liam,

SyncToy really support my needs to have portable data synchronized with data on my home PC so I can work "offline". However I rec a problem when another drive letter was assigned to my movable disk, SyncToy leave the message "Couldn´t find the folder".  I thought the Dynamic drive letter assignment was implemented in 2.0 Beta. Any missunderstandings??

BR / Lars-Eric

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I've been enjoying this Beta 2 for awhile now and I backup everything from my profile in Documents and Settings to my D: drive as an Echo, which is a secondary hard disk drive slightly smaller than my primary/C: drive. I also have a second folder pair of My Documents that does the same Echo to D:.

I really enjoy this and run it occassionally, but the only thing I would like to see and if anyone knows how, let me know here, but how to set this up in Scheduled Tasks. I did it before, but it would not run the folder pairs/etc and I'm not sure on how to set it up to do this, command prompt options or whatever. That would make this product ideal for some advanced users/IT or whatever. I'm quite adept, but this has me stumped.

Great product and like I said, options in it or how to use Scheduled Tasks to run it at certain times would make this perfect.

Ted

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:04 AM
  • There are a number of great posts on scheduling syncs such as this one:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2894255&SiteID=75

However, to be fair I agree that this is something that we really should look into adding to the product.

Liam

Monday, June 9, 2008 4:40 PM
  • Hello,

I'd really, really like for SyncToy to have the option of repairing deletions or other changes done to the "right folder" the next time a sync occurs, when using Echo or Contribute strategies. In other words, a way to keep the right folder as a perfect copy of the left folder, no matter what someone (naughty or otherwise) might do to the right folder. I saw this wish posted somewhere else, but I thought I'd "Echo" it (har, har!) here as well.

Perhaps a simple checkbox that can be ticked or not, along with the other options when you set up a folder pair. Or maybe a fourth sync strategy.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Dear Liam,

I have an application where I need to maintain synchronozation of a couple folders on 4 servers connected over an intranet.  Sounds like fileshare is not a good product for this application due to the lack of internet connectivity on our plant floor.  Hopefully SyncToy will help.  Can SyncToy be used to synchronize files on multiple computers?

Best regards,

Dave Mills

Friday, September 19, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Hi Dave,

The answer to your question is that it depends. 

SyncToy bases its synchronization to other computers basically on folder shares.  If you are able to map a network drive to these other computers then absolutely SyncToy will allow you to keep them in sync and you certainly can schedule this capability to make it pretty much automatic.  Since you are on an intranet I suspect this is likely possible for you.

As I believe you have noticed, SyncToy does not require any type of internet connectivity and certainly allows you to create sync communities such as this to keep all documents in sync.

I hope this helps.

Liam

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Hi Flim,

Yes this is a fairly common request which we unfortunately do not support right now.  If you are interested there is a (farily heated) discussion on the topic here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3790791&SiteID=75

Liam

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Hi Liam,

I have found SyncToy perfect for my needs - the low footprint in particular appeals to me.

I have a question regarding the synctoy*.dat files that are left behind in all linked folders in every pair.

I have Explorer set to display hidden files but to hide system files. This system works well for me.

Do the synctoy DAT filenames change? Can I set the DAT files with a system attribute to hide them out of view in Explorer without affecting SyncToy's operation? I have quite a few folder pairs, and the visible DAT files are a little distracting.

Thanks!
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:47 AM
  • Hi xxDeaDLocKxx,

No the file names do not change so what you have suggested about setting the DAT files with a system attribute should work without impacting the SyncToy operation.

Liam

Monday, October 6, 2008 8:53 PM

• Hi:

Could I configure synchtoy so dat files are not saved in drive C (which is almost out of space)? Could you please explain me how, if possible?

Regards,

Martha
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:18 PM
  • I have used synctoy for years with any issues until recently.

Due to space issues I needed to change the external hard drive to which some of the backups went.  I deleted the old folder pairs and created new folder pairs.

When I run each folder individually, synctoy does look only at the new location.

However, when I run All Folder Pairs, synctoy is still looking at the old location instead of the new location.   I get various error messages including: failed to execute folder pair; destination folder does not exist.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks

Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:41 PM