none
multiple booting drives for one box RRS feed

• Question

• i am using 3 drives in 3 separate removable caddies.

1) normal use
    2) games only
    3) barebones testing system

how will the home server react to this setup?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:32 AM

Answers

•  compid wrote:
    right, sorry, i didn't understand. Do you mean you have three seperate OSes installed into that box? If so, i think you should install the whs connector onto each OS. However, this raises a good question - what happens to the backup, and as how many computers would WHS recognise a computer with multiple OSes?

The recommendation from Microsoft (elsewhere in the forum) for a computer that's configured to multiboot is to install the connector only on the OS that you usually use. It can back up any (NTFS) partition, even if it didn't boot off that partition. If you were to install the connector on an OS that you use only rarely, WHS would complain about not being able to back it up. And you'd have more space taken up with backups than is really required, because you'd have basically the same data (or cluster information, anyway, thanks to Single Instance Storage, but it does take up some space anyway) stored two or more times.

In this case (multiple boot drives that you swap) I think the same logic would apply.

As for how WHS distinguishes between one computer and another, I believe it uses the computer's NetBIOS name. If all three boot drives use the same name, I would expect that WHS might get rather confused...
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:38 PM

All replies

• I am afraid that WHS would format every single hard drive attached to the computer during installation, regardless of what is in it. If you attach another hard drive onto WHS after installation, WHS would also format the hard drive and adds it to the storage pool.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:14 AM
  • good point compid.
    but i forgot to mention that the main computer with the removable bootable drives would not be the whs computer.
    whs would be installed on a seperate box of course.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:40 AM
  • right, sorry, i didn't understand. Do you mean you have three seperate OSes installed into that box? If so, i think you should install the whs connector onto each OS. However, this raises a good question - what happens to the backup, and as how many computers would WHS recognise a computer with multiple OSes?

Arthur

Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:49 AM
  •  compid wrote:
    right, sorry, i didn't understand. Do you mean you have three seperate OSes installed into that box? If so, i think you should install the whs connector onto each OS. However, this raises a good question - what happens to the backup, and as how many computers would WHS recognise a computer with multiple OSes?

The recommendation from Microsoft (elsewhere in the forum) for a computer that's configured to multiboot is to install the connector only on the OS that you usually use. It can back up any (NTFS) partition, even if it didn't boot off that partition. If you were to install the connector on an OS that you use only rarely, WHS would complain about not being able to back it up. And you'd have more space taken up with backups than is really required, because you'd have basically the same data (or cluster information, anyway, thanks to Single Instance Storage, but it does take up some space anyway) stored two or more times.

In this case (multiple boot drives that you swap) I think the same logic would apply.

As for how WHS distinguishes between one computer and another, I believe it uses the computer's NetBIOS name. If all three boot drives use the same name, I would expect that WHS might get rather confused...
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:38 PM