none
Forum Formatting problem

Question

• Anything I post to the TechNet suddenly shows up with messed up formatting. I've checked my language settings and encoding, but suddenly there are chunks of text in my posts that are not supposed to be there. 

I just edited a small piece of text and added a few lines (about this subject coincidentally) and when I saved it, the post is all messed up. Please review this issue. example given below

Thanks.

Sigh...

• Edited by Michael Star Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:19 PM
    • Moved by Just Karl Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:33 PM Looking for the proper forum.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:48 PM

Answers

• Here's the text in Segoe ui:

If you encounter any errors with any of the syntaxes provided, then type them manually!
    Copy/paste sometimes gets corrupted due to text-encoding, and in particular hyphens and dashes. A hyphen is not the same as a dash and can mess up your syntax and break it. Here's an example:

1. hyphen (-)
    2. 'N' dash (–)
    3. 'M' dash (—)

And this is what it looked like when I used verdana:

If you encounter any errors with any of the syntaxes provided, then type them manually! Copy/paste sometimes gets corrupted due to text-encoding, and in particular hyphens and dashes. A <g gr_349 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="349" id="349">Hypen</g> is not the same as a dash and can mess up your syntax and break it. Here's<g gr_342 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="342" id="342">an example:</g>

1. <g gr_342 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="342" id="342">Hy</g>phen (-)
    2. 'N' dash (–)
    3. 'M' dash (—)

Sigh...

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:17 PM

All replies

• Just messed around with it and it's ok now. It seems to dislike copy/paste certain text when using some fonts. I copied a cached version from google of my post, then pasted it to word and changed the font to segoe ui. Then I copied the text to technet and pasted as plain text. This did the trick and all the weird formatting is now gone. I'd like to know what causes this though. I simply wrote a few lines about dashes and hypens and when I saved it, it showed up with html like characters around it.

Sigh...

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Here's the text in Segoe ui:

If you encounter any errors with any of the syntaxes provided, then type them manually!
    Copy/paste sometimes gets corrupted due to text-encoding, and in particular hyphens and dashes. A hyphen is not the same as a dash and can mess up your syntax and break it. Here's an example:

1. hyphen (-)
    2. 'N' dash (–)
    3. 'M' dash (—)

And this is what it looked like when I used verdana:

If you encounter any errors with any of the syntaxes provided, then type them manually! Copy/paste sometimes gets corrupted due to text-encoding, and in particular hyphens and dashes. A <g gr_349 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="349" id="349">Hypen</g> is not the same as a dash and can mess up your syntax and break it. Here's<g gr_342 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="342" id="342">an example:</g>

1. <g gr_342 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="342" id="342">Hy</g>phen (-)
    2. 'N' dash (–)
    3. 'M' dash (—)

Sigh...

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Forums Issues (not product support) forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:33 PM